Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Private Ob, public delivery

JANE892 is offline Registered User

Private Ob, public delivery

I was hoping someone out there could give me some advice.

I'm 10 weeks pregnant (right after a chemical pregnancy in March). I have been seeing Dr. Ho. I think he's a great doc etc but expensive. We've had some complications (bleeding etc- have had a week of bed rest) etc so we've been to seem him alot. Point is we only have about HK$18k of maternity insurance. So at some stage we are going to switch to the public system and I'll deliver at Queen Mary. I'm not stressed about not delivering at a private hospital. I've heard that if the baby was in trouble after the birth they rush any babies at Matilda to the Queen Mary anyway. So being at the Queen Mary I know I'm at the right place in terms of care and I'm not so worried about nice food/ big room etc (its just 3 days right?).

So my question is...for any other ladies who have made this sort of decision- when is the best time to do the "switch" from seeing my private ob to going into the public system? I'm having the downs test in about a week and a half...I don't really know what other tests they do for the rest of the pregnany? How often do they do ultrasounds after 12 weeks? etc

I work full time so I do want to minimise waiting in long public system queues for as long as possible.

Anyway- would love to hear your thoughts.
    Thanks vm
    Jane

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User

Hi Jane

Congratulations!

I went to a private OB throughout the entire 40 wks but started going to the public hospital too at around 28 wks (if I remember correctly) and delivered the baby at public hospital.

Don't think they would give you ultra sound scan at public facilities unless they suspect anything out of the ordinary. But they do perform all other standard tests that you normally pay a high fee at private practices. I know people who registered at public hospital early on so as to have all the tests done for free.

And yes, if you are concerned about complications then better deliver the baby at Queen Mary. Public hospitals are often better equipped and you'd always have professionals standing by in case of emergencies.

Matty is offline Registered User

Hi Jane,

Congratulations! I was just wondering how you were going the other day!

I did the switch at about week 30, then did one more private visit at week 36(?) for the Step B test as it's a test that QMH don't routinely offer.

JANE892 is offline Registered User

Hey! Good to hear from you. I just sent you a PM.
    Talk soon,
    Jane

hunhun_l is offline Registered User

you don't need to do switch, you can visit private ob and public hospital in parallel, which is what i'm doing now.

I first visit QE at 16th week to make appointment and submit information, and my first real doctor visit at QE is already 26 week. at public hospital, they don't do checkup too often anyways. If you don't want to do tests again (blood test etc), you can bring your lab test from you private doctor, public hospital nurse will keep a copy.

you can keep visiting you private ob till your insurance run out, or choose to visit him at some milestone weeks (such as 20 week).

mosmom is offline Registered User

Congratulations!
    I had 4 standard check-ups at govt. hospital (not QM). 3 of them were ultrasound examinations, the last one being a detailed scan of the foetus at week 20 (to see the gender, which is optional, and whether all organs/limbs are there).
    I was lucky that, for each visit, I was scheduled as the first patient in the morning, so usually I could leave by 10.00-10.30. Unfurtunately, you can't really negotiate your appointments with govt. hospitals, it was luck in my case.

bbvv is offline Registered User

I registered with public hospital at 22 weeks and still continued seeing a private doctor until week 28 as my medical insurance cover ran out. However, I suggest you register with a public hospital incase they do not have the bed space. I delivered last year at QE but when I registered, the lady before me was turned down at Prince of Wales as they had no bedspace hence she seeked QE to see if they had any. My concern is that the this year there has been a large increase of pregnant women so registering early will be a good idea if you really want to deliver at Queen Mary. Good Luck!

mscheerful is offline Registered User

i had all my checked-up at Private Clinic as well as Public and given birth at Public at PMH. No problem at all but you have to register at public and at least has few check-ups so the hospital has a record about your pregnancy and bedspace for them to serve you better when you deliver your baby. Yes, BBVV is right, register asap as there are so many preggies this year!!!

Enjoy your day!