Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gestational Diabetes Test

Canucker is offline Registered User

Gestational Diabetes Test

Hi All,

Just wondering if the majority of you who gave birth in HK were tested for gestational diabetes? Just talking with friends back in Canada who are pregnant or had their babies there and they were not tested, but it seems to be mandatory at Queen Mary.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Canucker

Thanks for your reply.

I know I have to "fast" for 9 hours before the test is taken (from midnight to 9am)... but what about the time between when you drink the "sugar liquid" to when they take the second test 2-3 hours later... will I be allowed to eat anything? I don't really want to go 12+ hours without eating b/c I am pregnant.

Canucker

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    No, you can't eat anything between the tests. Don't worry, you might feel hungry but it is not harmful to the baby.
    Last edited by ELT; 06-07-2007 at 06:06 PM.

mosmom is offline Registered User
    I had it done because my dad has diabetes. So, if you have a family record of diabetes, they'll do it with you.
    I drank that horribly sweet glucose water (and a cup of plain water right after to dilute the taste) and was not allowed to eat anything for the 2hrs waiting time. I was not even allowed to go to the nearest mall to walk/shop around, as the nurse told me I should not move too much during waiting time.
    I understand your concern about being pregnant and dieting, but this is actually how it's done. You're not allowed to eat anything till the whole testing process is finished, I'm afraid.
    Oh yes, BECAUSE I had only drunk that glucose water + plain water in the morning, by the time the waiting time was over, I felt a bit nauseus (sugar water on empty stomach!). The nurse even asked me about it, as they must have cases like this all the time...
    Good luck with your test and the result!

kahling is offline Registered User
    I was tested about 2 weeks ago.
    I was not allowed to eat after midnight on the night before the test.

At 9am on the day of the teat, i had a blood and urine test. Took abt 10mins. At 9.10am I was given a glass of sugar water to drink (very very sweet, tasted like flat lemonade). Left at 10.10am

I was told to come back in an hour, had another blood and urine test. Took abt 10 mins. Left at 10.20

Told to come back in an hour, had another blood and urine test.

At 11.30, the series of tests finished and i was told i could eat and drink.

I actually had fainting spells throughout the entire morning , probably from the lack of liquids, food and heat. So probably better if you do not walk around during the 1 hour wait period in between tests.

Good luck!

carang is offline Registered User
    you can drink water though...
    and yes, in the public hospitals it is mandatory.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    I was offered it when pregnant by my private Dr and figured it was just another test you had to do when pregnant!

Thanks for all the info... I guess I will pack a few magazines and my Ipod and prepare to hang out for a few hours. The nurse warned me last week at my 24 week appointment that they would not let me leave the hospital during the test. As for the not eating... I guess it has to be done. I will pack some granola bars et al so I can have a snack before lunch once the test is done and before I leave the hospital.

Just curious... what happens if you don't want to do this test or any other ones they do at Queen Mary? I told a friend back in Canada about the urine test for sugar and protein at every appointment and she is going to ask her DR. in Canada why she has never done it... where another friend does it at every appointment... guess medical staff have different requirements at different places.

Thanks!
    Canucker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast