Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

QE hospital- getting nervous, any reassurrance?

mambo is offline Registered User

QE hospital- getting nervous, any reassurrance?

Hi everyone,
    Just wanted to share my thoughts lately and how nervous I'm getting to delivering my baby. (probably hormonal?) This is also my second baby but I feel so ill-prepared! Durng my antenatal checkups at the hospital I feel a tinge of nervousness and feel like I 'don't want to go through it again!' at the hospital. (My last pregnancy was natural also at the QE-10hr labor....felt like a marathon!) All in all it went okay...my husband was great in the labor room and counting on him to be there again..the midwives only came in to check occasionally.

However, lately, I've been hearing 'not so good' stories' about QE from others and been asked to consider going to private. I know this topic has been talked about alot...but mostly of hospitals on the HK island.

Anyone who has RECENTLY given birth at QE who could give me some sort of reassurance. I even walked through the maternity ward and I felt a little 'panicky'....

Some issues arrive:
    1. Do they always give an episiotomy? (other hopsitals as well?) Because this was the hardest for me to recover from last time.

2. Were husbands allowed in the labor room this time? Due to the increase in babies being delivered are they still allowing this?

3. How was the care of your babies afterwards?

4. Was there enough support for breastfeeding?

5. Did you take any any antenatal classes? I'm not this time around and figured that we should just go through it. (it was only about 2 years ago, since last)

6. Did they follow your birthplan if you had one?

Please, anyone who could share their experiences at QE would be helpful. Thanks.
    Last edited by mambo; 06-08-2007 at 09:24 AM.

no body has delivered at QE lately?

Bubbly is offline Registered User
    Hi Mambo,

I delivered at the QE this April and found the experience very good.

My baby was premature and the doctors and nurses at QE gave her the best I could have asked for. To answer some of your questions,

yes, my husband was allowed in the labour room with me.
    yes, they are very pro-breastfeeding. There were some mothers who wanted to give the bottle, but the nurses and lactation consultants there encouraged them to BF.

The only thing I wasn't happy about then was the visiting times, but then I think it is necessary in order to give the mothers rest during the day and also there were talks each day after the birth to help us with our newborns.

Don't worry, you will be fine! Good luck.

Thanks Bubbly for the information. I needed some sort of reassurance and esp. now since I found out I also have gest. diabetes. I hope it doesn't complicate the labour too much. Anyone else given birth at QE lately? Thanks.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    There is a very nice lactation consultant called Christine Lam who works at the QE. If you find that you have problems with the breastfeeding ask to see her. She also runs a breastfeeding clinic out of the QE hospital. I know lots of mothers she has helped.

clare76 is offline Registered User
    Hi,

I gave birth there in February and had an excellent experience. My husband was allowed in the delivery room and I didn't have an episiotomy. My husband wasn't allowed in the labour ward but we just walked around just outside it (which I think helped to speed up the delivery).

They did help with breastfeeding but not that much as they are so busy. I would recommend seeing a private lactation consulatant once you get home if you have any concerns.

Good luck and try not to worry.
    Clare

geiboyi is offline Registered User
    Just don't sign for the episiotomy - it's a surgical procedure so they need a consent form. I declined to sign it on my second QMH experience. They sulked a bit, but gave up in the end.

Canucker is offline Registered User
    geiboyi,

Thanks for the heads up about the episiotomy. I was wondering about that.

Canucker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast