Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Baby falling asleep on breast

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    I suggest that you put the supplements on a schedule. This way you know exactly how much you are giving and are then in a good place to reduce them. It is not a good idea to top the baby up after each feed. The babies quickly learn that they don’t have to work at breastfeeding because they will get a bottle afterwards.

So I usually suggest that mothers give the bottles (although not using bottles is a much better idea) at 9:00 am, 1:00 pm, 5:00 pm and 9:00 pm (if giving 4 feeds, say)and then just breastfeed at ANY and ALL other times. This helps the baby realise he has to work at the breast.

Kellymom.com has information about weaning from supplements to the breast and a useful form to fill in which helps you know exactly where you are and what the next stage is.

Weaning from Supplements Instructions

http://www.kellymom.com/store/handou...upplements.pdf

Weaning from Supplements Log

http://www.kellymom.com/store/handou...upplements.pdf

Best wishes,
    SARAH

KatBoo is offline Registered User
    Mintycat - I am in the same situation. My (2) LO's are 15 days old and are still very sleepy (they were born 4 weeks early, so not really supposed to be in the world yet...so is kinda understandable).

I unswaddle them about 5 minutes before a feed so that they have chance to wake up, then if they fall asleep sometimes a 'jiggle' of my breast is enough to wake them, sometimes I change their nappy half way through and that is enough too.

I find it very frustrating when feeding them, especially as there are 2 to deal with (and especially in the middle of the night), but I take heart in the knowledge that in a few weeks time, they will become more efficient at eating and be more wakeful.

carang is offline Registered User
    my 4 month old would only ever feed for 10 mintues at a time, still hard to get her to feed more. i, too, was worried until the first check up and i found that she was gaining very well. then by the 2 month check up she'd doubled her birth weight.

the best advice i can off is RELAX!!! getting all stressed out is NOT going to help, only hinder you.

so, RELAX and ENJOY!

ps. forget to say that to keep my girl awake for longer, i'd actually undress her, so she was a little on the cool side. (she was also 4 weeks early and 2.47kg at birth)

CookieS is offline Registered User
    Carang,
    I'm in similar situation like you are...my 2-month-old baby only sucks no longer than 10 mins each time ever, but is gaining weight healthily. But i wonder what's your feeding time gaps? For me, during the day, baby feeds like every hourly or so!!! it's killing me. and at night, she feeds between 3-5 hrs, much better than during the day.

generally during the day it can be every 1.5-3 hours. she goes to sleep by 8pm every night and wakes between 3-5am for 15 minute feed and back to sleep until 7-9am...has been this way for at least a month

becs is offline Registered User
    Mintycat, you are doing really well! If you are determined to BF then it will all work out fine, your baby must almost be 3 weeks now and will start taking in more at each feed and last longer inbetween.

My boy was also sleepy and jaundiced and needed phototherapy, I had to supplement with a bottle but cut it out as soon as his weight was back up, the breasts take about 2 days to adjust to a new feeding requirement, and thus after 2 days of feeding every 1.5-2 hrs, he was back to needing to be woken for feeding (at least every 3 hrs to get your milk supply going initially, but if you are able to give so much EBM your supply sounds fine).

At 3 weeks, he took 7-15mins each feed, with the exception of one 30-40 min feed each day, took 8 feeds/day, gained wgt well, and still prefers the breast to bottle (much to my dismay as I am back at work and want him to take the bottle). It was a struggle for me and I don't think at your stage I was able to pump out nearly so much milk, so well done!

One good way to get up supply is after that feed, to pump from the breast your babe fed on first for that meal, just an extra 1/2 oz is good enough to stimulate more milk

virginiayue is offline Registered User
    Mintycat, don't worry, you are doing fine. One tip is make sure your baby is taking not only the front part of your breast milk, because he will get very hungry very quicky as the front milk are water and less fat. During the night if you are tired, it is important for you to get good rest in order to produce milk, so EBM during the night is a good idea if you have someone helps you. Babies get tired easier on the breast because they need more energy, so top up by bottle is also fine. It is much less work for a baby to have the bottle. However, they do fall in sleep a lot, so don't worry. I have twins and they are 13 months now and I have been breastfed both of them until 6 months and EBM aftter until now. They have not taken any formula so far.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12