Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Moving from cot to bed

spockey is offline Registered User

Moving from cot to bed

Our cot has just fallen apart as we've had too many moves since we've had it (only about 15 months!) So we need to move our 15 month (almost) bub to a bed as it'd be a waste of money to buy another cot.
    I would like to know what problems you've encountered with a toddler in bed. And, if you think, I should not worry about the money and keep him in the cot as it's "that" much safer given he's still young. And, is there is "safe" age for the move from cot to bed? BTW, bub can climb up and down anything like a pro even though he's just almost 15 months as the cheeky little monkey started climbing before walking!
    Thanks!

mailmail is offline Registered User

Hiya, the bed should be as low as possible, just in case baby accidentally rolls down when he is half asleep or half awake.

AndreaY is offline Registered User

If you are worried, why don't you get a cot bed? it will serve as a cot for now and when he is ready to move on, you can convert it into a child's bed. Have seen various ones in Mothercare catalog.

spockey is offline Registered User

Thanks AndreaY! It totally slipped my mind that they exist. I just hope I'll be able to find one that's not too pricey. I recall the Boori and Stokke ones when we looked were really expensive.

mailmail is offline Registered User

Have a look at Ikea, KURA may be just the bed you are looking for.

capital is offline Banned

when we switched from crib to bed, I just put the matress on the floor to start with, that way if he fell out he wouldn't be hurt. And I made sure the room was 100% childproof so I didn't have to worry about baby being alone in the room. I switched to a roller blind to no cords to strangle on, I had a very low stable dresser so no chance of it tipping, and that is all I had in the room. I left only books in there as he would play with the toys at nap time. He couldn't reach the window to open it, so no worry there, and he was too short to open the door knob to get out. The first 2 weeks when well, then he realized he could get out of bed whenever he wanted too, so I did have to deal with that for awhile.