Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Weight Loss After Giving Birth

bumpyhumpy is offline Registered User

Weight Loss After Giving Birth

Hello! I've just given birth to our first baby. I noticed that I gained a lot of fat deposits in my body. Although I love my hip and bust size now there are still parts of me that look a little exaggerated and oversized. Is there any way for me to reduce my weight or gain back my original 'figure'?

carang is offline Registered User
    nine months on, nine months off... at least! for me, breastfeeding makes me gain so much weight, i'm hungry ALL THE TIME!

parts of your body will NEVER be the same, embrace it! you are a mother now, wear it like a badge of honour!
    Lousmum likes this.

Sumei is offline Registered User
    I definitely agree with Carang, your body has been through so much, you cannot expect it to look and perform as if you hadn't given birth!! No matter how hard you diet/workout etc, some parts of your body will never be the same but you know what, you shouldn't expect it to be!!: )

Having said that I know how stressful and demoralising it can be looking at the mirror postnatally, I breastfed my son exclusively (until he was a year old) and everyone told me not to worry, the weight would just slide off......errr, it didn't! After the first 6 weeks of loosing all the water weight, my weight plateaued for the next 6 months and wouldn't budge an inch no matter how I watched my weight - then I read in this forum about the 3 hour diet and tried it and lost my remaining 4 kg in about 3-4 months, it was amazing! It's a very simple concept of eating EVERY 3 hours (bang on, not 2 hours then 4 hours, you need to follow the timing very strictly) and you can eat whatever you want, none of this low or no carb or zone nonsense, I even had chocolate bars for my snacks! It works on the principle that if you don't eat every 3 hours, your body goes into starvation mode and starts burning muscle instead of fat (muscle is is what burns fat) - it's all about keep your metabolism up! Initially you will find it hard keeping to the timing of 3 hours but soon it comes very naturally.......good luck!

http://www.3hourdiet.com/home/index.php

mintycat is offline Registered User
    For me, I gained 23 lbs and 20 lbs with my daughters. I went back to my original weight with my first DD around 2-3 months. I pumped exclusively for her and even though I was constantly eating, I didn't put on any more weight. But it was obvious my belly was jiggly and not like before. After I stopped pumping for her at 9 months, I gained a few more lbs.

With this one, I am 13 days post partum and about 5 lbs from my pre-preggo weight. I am eating a lot of healthy food as my traditional MIL keeps feeding me in my "confinement month."

I think weight loss is different for everybody. Some of my friends lose weight while breastfeeding while others gain. No matter what, it is important to eat healthy when you breasfeed.

meimei is offline Registered User

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by bumpyhumpy View Post
    Hello! I've just given birth to our first baby. I noticed that I gained a lot of fat deposits in my body. Although I love my hip and bust size now there are still parts of me that look a little exaggerated and oversized. Is there any way for me to reduce my weight or gain back my original 'figure'?
    HI,
    I've also gave birth to my first daughter and she's 10 1/2 months old now. I gained 30 lbs in total and I didn't loose anything until she was about 7 months old. I breastfed until she was 6 1/2 months but breastfeeding didn't make me loose any weight. I was also very very frustrated and almost wanting to take diet pills. But of course I didn't. I went to beauty salon and tried a lot of different machines for body sculpting and weight loss. It only helped a bit and lost about 5 lbs from it. Then I realise it was going too slow so I started a grapefruit diet and started going to gym religiously. I've been going to gym 3 times a week and the diet really helps too. I have so far lost 17 lbs. And I would like to loose at least 8 more lbs. But these 17 lbs was not easy to loose at all! It's really a lot of work.
    BTW, I think I'm going to try the 3 hour diet! Hope it will help me loose the rest of the lbs!

squiggle is offline Registered User
    The only predictor of post baby weight is how much was put on during pregnancy. After the baby is born, expect to lose 13kg and retain 60% of anything gained over 13kg. Breastfeeding has not been shown to hasten weight loss. I dropped my weight quickly, as my bub would only go to sleep whilst walking outside in the Baby Bjorn!!!

capital is offline Banned
    I gaines 23 lbs and 28 lbs. I lost all the weight by 6 weeks, but then slowly I gained wieght back, I did BF for over a year with each, but because I was at home I ate all the time, snacked constantly. When I went back to work ( after a year each time) I then lost the weight again, because I didn't snack all the time.

Now I have the opposite problem. Since I went back to work 5 months ago, I have lost too much weight. I've be so stressed form working and talking care of 2 kids and keeping house I just keep losing more and more, and I am still BF so concerned about the quality of milk I have now. Does anyone else have this problem, can't keep weight on and BF'ing?

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    The only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume. If you want to get back to your original figure, eat less and exercise more. There is no magic to that. Obviously some weight gain during pregnancy is normal as is some weight loss afterwards.The more weight you put on whilst pregnant, the harder it will be to take off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast