Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby Sick in Hong Kong (from Canada)

bunbunng is offline Registered User

Baby Sick in Hong Kong (from Canada)

Hi all,

I just arrived HK a few days ago with my husband and daughter, Hazel (6 months) from Toronto Canada to visit family members here. This was supposed to be a fun trip, and we did a lot of research about travelling with baby by flight, pushchair choice, baby food....in advanced. Hazel has Acid Reflux (frequent vomit due to immature muscle to stomach) since 1.5 month and she's on quite a lot of medicine with the help of thickened formula. Because I realize her special formula isn't available in HK, we brought many cans of ready-to-serve cans of milk back here.

She did so well on plane, slept almost all the way through HK, and even "survived" the pain during take off and landing. But once we arrived here, we tried so hard to adjust jetlag problem for her and as expected, we woke up several times during the first night. The only SURPRISE was she cried loudly when we got up, which she usually doesn't. Hazel is a pretty good and happy baby. Even though the reflux is torturing her a lot, she is still very active and healthy most of the time. We thought it's about her jetlag that makes her cranky. But then she started to get fussy during the day, and we still thought it's because she's lack of sleep......

But up till last night, she finally got used to the time difference here and only got up (with crying) once in the night (she's a very good sleeper since 8 weeks), but then we realized she may catch a cold, coz it sounded that she's lost her voice..... and in pain a lot, stuffy nose, coughing, and tears/swollen eyes.....

I don't know any GOOD pediatrician here in Hong Kong, plus I have to make sure the doctor will treat her cold as well as reflux good. I brought back the little bottle of medicine (over counter type) for infants' cold and cough, don't know whether it'll be strong enough for her this time. I'm so worried, she's lost all the energy, I ain't sure whether she's teething the same time (some symptoms show) that make her even more cranky.

I'm so worried since whenever Hazel catches a cold, her reflux gets worse and she'll even lose weight. I don't expect this to be an exotic trip like we were single in old days, but still, I'd like her to be happy and healthy when she meet her grandparents, and even Great grandparents. Please help me out here.....should I bring her to see doctor? Any good ones? Or I'll wait for a couple of days and see if the cold/cough med is working for her?

PLEASE HELP, THANKS ALOT !!!!!!!!!

mintycat is offline Registered User
    Sorry to hear that your daughter is sick. Does she have a fever? Normally for colds without high fever, I won't bring my DD to the pediatrician. But since you are traveling and with her acid reflux, maybe it's a good idea to bring her in. Where do you live? Mine is very good, although he is very busy and there may be quite a wait for him. His name is Dr. Alfred Tam and his clinic is in Central Building, his number is 2526 6332.

thanks Mintycat for your info. Hazel has no fever (yet), but with her swollen eyes and tears, loss of appetite, I know she must be suffering alot. She has a bit of diaherrea, would you think there is virus in her stomach or it's a sign of teething? I'd try calling in the doctor tomorrow, ain't sure whether he's opened on weekend though, thanks alot

rani is offline Administrator
    Bunbun,

I think you maybe right and she's teething. My son had diarrhea, no appetite and was vomiting when he started teething. Like you we were traveling and staying with friends in San Francisco. I just continued nursing and tried to keep him hydrated. By Day 4 his teeth cut thru and he was back to his normal self. Hang in there. If you think she's getting worse, I would definitely consult a Dr.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

hkmami is offline Registered User
    Sorry to hear your daughter is not feeling...especially on vacation. You can try my pediatrician..I think she is available on Sat morning. Dr. Yvonne Ou or Dr. Rulin Fuong , they are at the same clinic in Central 2824 0822. It might be agood idea to bring her in since she is so young and also for peace of mind on your part. If you can't get in for any of these and you are really worried then you can go to the out patient clinic at the Hong Kong Sanatorium Hospital in Happy Valley. Good Luck!!

Hi again, thanks so much for the info. I'm pretty sure Hazel has caught some virus and she's definitely got some cold/cough symptoms. If teething is on her way, that makes problems even worse. Would anyone know if Dr Alfred Tam's clinic open on Sat as well? She just slept for 3 hours straight (for nap only!), and refused to eat.....it worries me alot. Since with her acid reflux, she's already eating a lot less than she's supposed, now she's lost her appetite.....really don't know what to do.....

mintycat is offline Registered User
    Yes Dr. Tam's clinic is open on Sat but only til about 1 pm.

You can always try the outpatient clinic at the hostpitals on the weeeknds.

Good luck and hope your LO feels better soon.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    Take her to the Dr. not wanting to scare you but when my daughter lost her voice (or appeared to, she was only 14 months at the time and not talking), she too was diagnosed with reflux although not as servre as yours.

It turned out to be pharyngitis.

GOod luck, 'they' say that babies get sick when you travel and even the best laid plan can't stop it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast