Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying fruit and veg at local markets

sophwillsmum is offline Registered User

Buying fruit and veg at local markets

Does anyone know much about the quality of fruit and vegetables at the local markets? I quite enjoy shopping there and the prices are so much cheaper. I have bought an organic fruit and vegetable soaker from city super but was wondering if I am still putting my family at risk by giving them this produce.I have heard that the hygeine levels in some of the areas that the food comes from are a little suspect. I'd really appreciate any insight on the subject.
    Sally.

carang is offline Registered User
    a lot of the produce t the local markets are EXACTLY the same as at park'n'shop, they all come from the same wholesaler...so why spend more?

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Close to 7 million Hong Kongers buy their fruit and veg in wet markets. Myself included.
    I buy some items in P'n'S and some in those ridiculously expensive other places and my family are very healthy. We are mostly vegetarian, too.

msmslau is offline Registered User
    agree, the only thing to watch out are the ridiculously cheap produce from China. one time, i bought these super sweet cheap oranges from china from wetmarket. when i returned next time, the owner said they stopped selling them b/c they found out the chinese farmers injected sweetner/syrup into the oranges!?! well, i am not surprised since early this year, news had reported unenthnical chinese farmers injected red dye into watermelons to make them more "attractive".

sophwillsmum is offline Registered User
    So how do I know that the produce is from China? Will it always say? And does that mean any produce from China is to be avoided? I recall now that yesterdatywhen I was buying mangoes the lady offered me two kinds, one from China and another from the Philippines. I of course had no idea which to buy. I can't even remember now which ones I picked up.

shri is offline Administrator
    We also buy all our veggies and fruits from the local market.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    I actually think you get better fruits and veg. in the market as opposed to PNS etc. The fruits and vege. in PNS are often of a horrendous quality, very rarely fresh, and rarely stay fresh for longer than a day too and they are overpriced!

Also would agree that need to be careful with food products from China- they do have food safety regulations in place, but it's wether they are being applied and checked and all too often they don't seem to be!

msmslau is offline Registered User
    i won't claim all food from china are unsafe. i would only be cautious when it comes to really cheap ones or those organic vege that's sold at a cheap price compared to other organic stores.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast