Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cantonese classes?

syuan is offline Registered User
    my husband and i took classes at Berlitz at Pacific Place. we've been in hong kong a LONG time, and personally i felt it was great to take some classes to pick up on some main vocabulary and clarify some questions i've always had in my mind. it got cancelled due to lack of people, so we only took one term, but i felt it was totally worth it. i felt much more confident speaking after that. it was a few years ago, so i don't remember how much it cost. and i think they can arrange for a teacher to go to your place instead, if that's what you prefer.

drcookie is offline Registered User
    I recommend hong kong language learning centre in wanchai at the emperor group building.

They do intensive/ private/ evening or daytime courses and usually don't cancel. The courses are 10 lessons of 2 hours but if there are only 2 people they do 8 lessons instead, and the hours are slightly variable. Usually 9-11, 11-1 or I think 2-4 every day and evening is 7-9 twice a week. They were really good, as 1 hour is speaking cantonese.

I only problem with daytime is finding time to go every day- but that is a good motivator as you forget less as far as I am concerned.

Hope that helps

Arwen is offline Registered User
    Tai Hang
    been in HK for 4 years, understands Cantonese when it is not spoken like a hurricane.
    But I tend not to speak the language these days (except to ask for the price when buying things) cos I got teased alot.. especially from my security guard who is about 70s in age? I thot I was nice by conversing in a lanaguage that he understands but he will always reply me in a sing song manner (something that he never does to my hubby).

I dont think I will ever master Cantonese fluently cos I dont have people that I can converse in Cantonese to on a daily basis but I am happy with picking up bits and pieces here and there.

spockey is offline Registered User
    I'll ask my colleagues... the local teachers if they know of anyone and I'll PM you if they get back to me with someone's name.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12