Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cantonese classes?

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User

Cantonese classes?

Hi all! Just wondering if any of you have taken Cantonese classes while here in HK. If so, where? and how much did they cost? and were they good/did you really learn?

My husbands family is HK Chinese and all speak Cantonese, and now that we've been here 4 years, they're kind of getting on my case for not learning yet... (Well, his extended family/relatives are, not really his parents or brothers.)

Help is appreciated!
    All the best,
    Katie

spockey is offline Registered User
    There are several options. You can do the online Canto course at HK's Science and Tech Uni or in person at CU or HKU. They all cost a bundle.
    But on Sunday's there is a government subsidized Canto class which costs only HK$100 a term that you can sign up for if you have a HK ID card. I've had some friends sign up and they say the tutor is great.

huba is offline Registered User
    Hi Spockey,

Can you please provide more details on the government subsidized Canto class?

spockey is offline Registered User
    Hi. Here are the details... The organisation to contact is:
    Migrants Programme
    International Social Service Hong Kong Branch
    6/F, Southorn Centre, 130 Hennessy Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong.
    Tel: 2836 3598
    Fax: 2508 0207

Rani... maybe this info could be listed if it's not already there?

mosmom is offline Registered User
    You can also try the YMCA in TST.

Personally, I signed up once at CUHK and once at YMCA. Both times, the courses got cancelled because they didn't get enough student applications. So, in case you sign up anywhere, be ready for this to happen and don't be disappointed.

Feel free to PM me if you need study material. I have several different authors' works and would gladly hand them over to you! I'm learning Cantonese on an 'ongoing' basis by just practising with the locals and asking my husband/friends

Ewee is offline Registered User
    Spokey and Mosmom : I've been thinking about taking a Canto course for myself. I have a few local friends but they speak English. It would be fun if I can speak a little. We Live in HK for 3,5 years but never have time. I have 1 yo son-- I cant leave him alone too long. Do you know where can I take a private Canto class?? where the teacher come to client residence?! Has anyone done this?! Thanks ladies.

cyuen2020 is offline Registered User
    I think the most effective way to learn language is from practical life. I wonder if you wish to take classes in more structural ways or chit chat with people. I am most willing to meet new friends and just email me [email protected] if you want to find sb speaking to you more in Cantonese or find ways how can I assist. I grow up in HK, working in international co. and I have a 4-mth old boy.

mosmom is offline Registered User
    ewee, i'm sorry i don't know about private canto lessons. i just don't insist on the formal learning of the language any more.. and you're right, your local friends will simply speak english with you because they think they need to be nice and adjust to you (sigh..). if you're working, you might ask a local person at your workplace to give you private lessons. good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast