Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

On bedrest, no chance for antenatal classes

sassybaby is offline Registered User

On bedrest, no chance for antenatal classes

Hi there - I'm 34 weeks pregnant and confined to bedrest for another couple of weeks. The thing is I waited till last minute to enroll in antenatal classes (we're huge procrastinators) and now since I'm on bedrest, we're going to miss them.

Does anyone know of a place that offers a private crash course at home? Is it even worth it at this point or should I just stick to reading about it all? Is there an online source that offers antenatal classes? I need advice - please! THANKS!!

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    I didn't bother taking antenatal classes for either of my two children. Like you, we procrastinated first time round and by the end we would have had to have private classes too because the group ones were fully booked. When i asked my ob's secretary ( an ex-midwife of some 30 years) if she thought they were worth it she said no. Labour itself is totally unpredictable. You end up just dealing with whatever is thrown your way. And as for caring for your baby after birth, it comes naturally. Little things like knowing how to bath them, burp them etc are all taught to you while you are in hospital. If anything i get the feeling the classes are best for enabling you to meet other soon to be moms. The rest, is overrated.

Just relax and enjoy the bedrest. Seriously, sleeping will soon be a complete luxury!

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    I know that Yvonne Heavyside (tel: 2530 1905, 9887 3235) does private lessons. She is a health visitor and lactation consultant and will be able to give you information about the birth and life with a newborn.

Also LLL do private classes about breastfeeding, www.lllhk.org

LeahH is offline Registered User
    I did the same, completely forgot and found all the group classes full.

We decided to get Yvonne Heavyside privately also - its convenient, condensed and at the very least, means we will be able to ask stupid/obvious questions in the privacy of our own home!

sassybaby is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the advice ladies! The way things are looking, I may go into labor in the next couple of weeks, in which case we'll have to wing it. This baby is just too eager to get started.