Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Amused on Dragon Boat Day.

KatBoo is offline Registered User
    my mum's the same! she keeps saying "oh, I would switch to formula if i were you" because she did. Her most classic comment though was when I was making puree for my then 6-month old at her house and she said "takes a lot of effort this cooking doesn't it, I don't know why you don't give him proper food from a jar"!!!! how funny is that??

Thing is, I have to be careful how I respond because I don't want to criticize how she raised us.....after all, I think I turned out OK!! I just say something like "well, while I'm not working and I've got the time..." etc

spockey is offline Registered User
    It was such warnings from friends about MIL and good intentioned relatives that I had barred anyone from visiting after birth until I was good and ready. It was nice to be on my own (albeit a little daunting in the beginning) to deal with bub. It was just my rules to contend with.

joannek is offline Registered User
    well i was having bfing problems for 5 mths, not possible to not let the grandparents see their 1st grandchild for 4 mths..... =( wish i could, though. my mom still says that my daughter's nose is flat cos i was breastfeeding her for too long (???!!!) aren't breasts supposed to be softer than plastic nipples? and she forgot we're chinese??? i mean, they just blab out whatever comes into mind to stop you from breastfeeding!!

spockey is offline Registered User
    I must say problems arise not just with MILs. My mother was difficult too! I couldn't breastfeed (not by choice). And my lovely mother... told me that my son and I would not be close as a result. When you've been told for 9 months what a horrible thing it not to breastfeed, you feel low enough not being able to do it. Add that remark on... I reckon I hit a new rock bottom at that time.... as the burden of guilt infiltrated my heart and mind.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    so glad my MIL lives far from where we are :yeah2

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    ELT i agree but for us I'm happy that both our families live far away not just the in laws. We all get along much better over the phone. We've got them both coming over at the same time in a few weeks and we're dreading it. The men are always fine, it's just the women that wreak havoc. Older women seem to love to undermine us younger mums. I pray that I don't become like that. God forbid that my boys ever dread me coming to see them!

Us new mums have to remember that anything our mothers or mothers in law say that is a criticism generally stems from their own insecurities and has nothing to do with us. It's frustrating though.

mum of 2 is offline Registered User
    So glad that I'm not the only one. I am always trying to bite my tongue re. MIL (not really fair on my husband to listen to my constant moans about his mother). Not that I'm glad that you all have to suffer too, but at least I don't feel like a total b***h. Mine thinks that BF is something that I try to do because it's 'fashionable' (mmmm....the glamour of huge bras, breast pads and leak marks....) and to limit the bonding that my husband and other family members can do with the baby. Fortunately, he thinks she's barking mad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12