Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Credit Card for Helper

kashismum is offline Registered User

Credit Card for Helper

We try to remember to give our helper cash every week for shopping, etc. Sometimes we forget, and often she runs out and needs to ask for more.

So, I'm thinking of giving her a credit card - a supplementary card on an existing account - or perhaps a new card with a lower limit. This way, she'll be able to do a big shop for delivery without having to calculate the cost, and limit what she can buy. I thought this will also be a good safety net for when we go on holiday and leave her in the flat in case anything happens i.e cat needs to go to the vet.

Obviously, we trust our helper. If any transactions were unaccounted for, we'd be able to ask her. I just want her to be able to do the household shopping efficiently so that we always have what we need.

Just wondering if anyone has done this and your experiences. Thoughts/comments appreciated.

mosmom is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by kashismum View Post
    If any transactions were unaccounted for, we'd be able to ask her.
    Just make sure that she brings back each receipt, so you can cross-check with your bill.

It's not such a bad idea, since you'll know pretty exactly where/for what she'll have spent the money. If it doesn't work (ie she 'loses' some receipts or all of a sudden begins to spend suspiciously much), you can always consider cancelling the card.

Maybe you should also give very specific instructions on how you want the card to be used (e.g. not allowing her to buy something for her friend/husband/... with the promise that she'll pay you back 'some day').

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    I couldn't do it. I know my helper and she'd spend money on it for herself and come up with some excuse like - my sister was in hospital and needed the money. So far each month we've had her she's tried to hit us up for extra money for something or other and just last week she asked for a loan for a big sum of money for someone earning what helper's earn. She thinks that we have tons of money and doesn't realise how hard we work to earn the money we have. For anyone who thinks i'm being harsh i'll give one example to illustrate how far she will go to get whatever she can for us. 4 weeks ago we helped her pay for a funeral for her father despite her telling me that he was already dead before we took her on! Yeah we gave the money because it was just easier that way. We're getting rid off her now for other reasons but her continual efforts to get us to part with our money hasn't helped. She lost $500 the other day and kept mentioning it as if i should give $500 to her!

You are lucky if you trust your helper to the extent that you could give her a credit card. I'd definitely be putting a very small limit on it however. If anything major comes up when you are on holiday i'm sure you will always be in phone contact and can deal with whatever needs to be dealt with on the phone.

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    My immediate reaction would be "I personally would not". I know you said you trust your helper, but it seems to be a risk not worth taking. I sometimes forget to give enough money, so I told my helper that she should just tell me when it's running low, so I can get money to give her. It's not really a hassle. I trust my helper too, but that does not mean she has not borrowed from the finance co ("loansharks") either for herself or for friends (so she tells me). If you are going on holiday, she can always leave her some money on the last day for emergencies. When we went on holiday and she had to look after the cats, I just leave her no. of my brother/friend in case she needed money for the vet. Also, you can arrange with your vet on payment when you return if need be. There just seems to be more con than pros in providing her with credit card.

rani is offline Administrator
    If its just for supermarketing, I think ParkNShop and Wellcome still issue charge cards. I have seen people using them. I used to have a Wellcome card years ago.
    Last edited by rani; 06-20-2007 at 07:21 PM.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

josoo is offline Registered User

credit card for helper

I personally wouldn't do that. I mean there are emergencies and that's when friends/relatives are for, plus you can always leave emergency cash. I think a credit card is dangerous, even if it has a low limit, because they may have the ability to access additional account information. I'm just old fashioned I guess....

sunrays is offline Registered User
    Have you thought of giving your helper a cheque already signed and made payable to ParknShop? That way all she has to do is fill in the amount. It's safe as only ParknShop can cash it and you don't have to worry that she won't have enough money to do all the shopping.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    I trust my DH a lot, but I wouldn't give her a credit card for the same reason I wouldn't leave too much cash and jewelry casually around the house - too much temptation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast