Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

"Mist" in HK Parkview

chauhr is offline Registered User

"Mist" in HK Parkview

Hello,

Does Hong Kong Parkview really have a "mist" issue? Our realtor was telling us that it gets covered in mist "all the time" and it gets hard even to see the car right in front of you. Is that true? How bad does it get? Which months are the worst? Does the mist stay for the entire day - or does it lift in the afternoon?

Also, do kids fall sick more due to the mist?

Please comment in detail. We like an apartment in that complex and this seems to be our only show-stopper.

Thanks!

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    I'm in Parkview, and yes, there are lots of misty/cloudy days. But if you live anywhere high up (like the Peak), you'll have the same problem. And if you live anywhere low down (like Happy Valley/Causeway Bay) you'll have worse air pollution. Personally, I don't mind the "white-out" days - though sometimes it gives me a surprise when I drive down to Central and discover it's sunny there!

I think the misty days are more frequent during the winter months though I haven't been here a year yet, so I'm not sure how the summer will be.

For me the advantages of Parkview far outweigh the misty days (and it's not like it's every day). Often misty mornings turn into beautiful afternoons, and for the great location, fantastic views, excellent facilities and spacious apartment, I think the mist is a fair trade-off.

Maybe someone else in Parkview can give their best guesstimate, but I would say since September (when I arrived) until June, maybe 20% of the days are misty. It's definitely been less so recently, so I think the summer is less affected.

Hope that helps
    Honkyblues

chauhr is offline Registered User
    Honky blues - Thanks a lot!

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    Forgot to answer your question about kids getting sick. I don't think so, no. My little one doesn't seem affected by the dampness on misty days and neither do any of his playgroup.

I suppose it might only be an issue if your child had an illness or weakness that meant they should stay out of damp environments. But wherever you are in HK in the winter, it is damp (and in the summer, humid).

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Fog & Mist & Living w/ high humidity

Not really a health issue as much as a home furnishings & clothes preservation issue.

Preventive action:

*Buy de-humidifiers.

*Buy those dessicating things to put in your wardrobes.

*Look over your shoes and other leather goods on a regular basis to stop mold spotting.

* Things that you hope to eat crisp (e.g. crackers, granola bars) - buy in small quantities and and eat them up fairly quickly once you've opened the packet, or else they will get soggy and not so nice.

* Consider keeping bread in the refrigerator in the summer (when you start noticing that
    the bread in the bread-box grows mold in 2 days).