Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Help!!!!!!!!!!

carang is offline Registered User
    in the public system, you generally get 2 u/s. however, if there are any compllications, you often get more. in two pregnancies, i had at least 20 u/s!!!

they check the heartbeat at every checkup after 12 weeks (can't hear it before that anyway!)

joyofliving is offline Registered User
    I have taken appointment with Tsan Yuk for 1st Aug (they didnt have any space earlier). I asked the lady on the phone which Doctor was it with and she said it was with a Nurse and she would take my blood sample to see if the baby is alright. She didnt speak English very well so it was difficult getting any other info out of her. I am confused about this? Does anyone know how do the consultations go in public hospitals? Do they do all the tests and ultrasounds a private doctor would?

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User
    I only got one ultrasound doing public. They said if there were complications that I would get more, but everything was fine, so i only got one. They checked for the heartbeat at every appointment that I can remember, except for maybe the first one or two because it was too early. But they never said what the heartbeat rate was, so you would have to ask.

At your first appointment I think it's just a nurse that sees you, but after that you usually see a nurse and a doctor seperately. The nurse checks your blood pressure, weight and urine and talks to you for a little bit, and then you have to wait for a bit before the doctor sees you.

The public system does all the tests that are necessary. If you have risk factors, they will do screening for down syndrome, gestational diabetes, strep b etc etc. I don't know for sure, but I think the private doctor would do more tests because they can get more money out of you. In the public system I think they only do what is really necessary.

Oh, and by the way, there isn't a specific doctor that sees you every time. It's just whoever you get when your number is called.
    All the best,
    Katie

joyofliving is offline Registered User
    Thanks Katie, that was quite helpful :)

carang is offline Registered User
    also, QMH(tsan yuk) is a training hospital. if you are uncomfortable seeing a med student for your appts. when you arrive, ask to see the "dr" not the med student. it sometimes takes longer, but if you are uneasy about students, then it's worth it. this won't be possible for the first visit, which is really just a registration, so they have your info. they will show you a video about downs' syndrome and do the normal checks...then they give you the next appt time. you do NOT get to choose it, they tell you...

ps.make sure you take something to read/pass the time with... the waits can sometimes feel like years out of your life!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Scroll to top