Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help!!!!!!!!!!

joyofliving is offline Registered User

Help!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

I have been visiting a private doctor in Central. Was seeing her for PCOS treatment for two months and now I am one month pregnant. The total money spent including 4 consultation visits, 3 utrasounds, lab tests (including antenatal tests) and medication is about 20,000 HKD.

Is this normal in Hong Kong, or is it cheaper in Public hospitals? Does anyone know how much is the consultation fee, ultrasound charges and other test charges for Doctors in Public Hospitals? Any recommendations?

I am not a Hong Kong Citizen or Permanent Resident.

rani is offline Administrator
    Congratulations!!!

Do you have a HK ID card? If you do, you can use the public hospital and prenatal clinics. The total cost is less than $500 which includes u/s, vitamins and delivery.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

joyofliving is offline Registered User
    Which one do you recommend?

rani is offline Administrator
    Depends where you live:

If you're in Pok Fu Lam/Mid-Levels/ Outlying Islands there's Tsan Yuk/ Queen Mary.

Eastern Side of the Island you can go to Pamela Youde in Chai Wan

Complete list of Public Hospitals is here

http://www.geobaby.com/directory/hea...lic-hospitals/

and Prenatal clinics
    http://www.geobaby.com/directory/hea...nment-clinics/
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Lolipop is offline Registered User
    Congratulations of your prenancy Joyofliving!!!!

Sorry to butt in on your thread! I have a similar dilema at the moment!

I was pregnant in HK about a year ago, which tragically ended in misscarriage, but already spent a fortune on private health care at the time (no HK ID).

I am now 3 month pregnant again and looking for something cheaper this time. I have a HK ID now but do not speak Cantonese or Mandarin (shame on me). Would you still recommend public health given these circumstances Rani ? - I have heard from my friends that the system is very good, but they all speak the language and are not sure it would be very easy for me to have a baby when it will be difficult to communicate! especially as the birth of my daughter did not run smoothly (56 hours).

Thak you

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User
    I don't speak Chinese and I went through the public system. It helps if you can recognize at least the numbers in Chinese because when they call you back to the room, sometimes they say the room number in Chinese. But if they see that you have an English/Western name (or any non-chinese name), they will probably say it in English. All of the doctors and nurses speak English, so you should have no problem. The only thing is that you have to speak up if you have questions or need clarification or anything like that. My hubby is HK Chinese, but could only come with me to a couple of the appointments. I made it through ok. Feel free to pm me with any questions.
    All the best,
    Katie

carang is offline Registered User
    i've been through the public system twice. there is no problem with the language, generally speaking.
    i did have a couple of nurses who only knew what pertained to their job, but most of the others i could have a real conversation with. doctors were not a problem at all

Lolipop is offline Registered User
    Great!

Thanks for your replies - It has given me a lot more confidence to go the public health route - it makes so much more sense (money wise)! - although the thought of a double room in a swish hospital (or should I say hotel) was starting to sound very nice LoL

How often do they do ultrasounds to check on baba? And do they check often for a heart beat do you know?

xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top