Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

C-section....best for your baby????

Ali71 is offline Banned

Opposite on bacteria and germs

I have read the opposite on the bacteria and germs theory - that precisely through the baby travelling through the birth canal it picks up the "bacteria" which are good bacteria and gains an advantage from this. My understanding was these good bacteria were similar to the type found in yoghurt, lactobacillus etc. I'm afraid I don't know any more.
    My personal choice was to give my baby as natural a start as possible, as having a C-section meant being pumped full of drugs before and after for both me and baby, unless of course a C-section was medically necessary.
    It seems that second opinions may be very different and it is best for you to find someone you are totally comfortable with, not left wondering whether your doctor is right. Good luck

mommyboy is offline Registered User

Thanks for all comments & opinions. I will suggest my friend to look at this thread to see what other moms out there think. She obviously trusts in what her dr. said.
    I repect her decision and think that there is nothing wrong with elective c-section. However, I hope that she would make her decision wisely not just be mislead by money-minded dr who's trying to get extra$$ and pick the birthday of her baby to fit his holiday schedule. Excuse my language!

joannek is offline Registered User

i have only hear the opposite. that the germs & bacteria thru the vagina are good for your babies, because since your baby being exposed to germs & bacteria at such a young stage, they already develop immunity hence their body is stronger. also, being born thru the vagina is apparently quite streefulf or the infant, hence babies born thru vaginal birth cope better with stress. there are studies to back these up, i'm sure you can google them.

joannek is offline Registered User

plus, i've only heard bad things to the baby on elective c-section, is that since they are not ready for the world, however far along at your pregnancy (assuming that all are well & healthy). cos when baby is ready he/she'll come out on its own. they also don't suckle that well during the 1st 24 hours, cos they didn't know they were "coming out".

HappyV is offline Registered User

Let me guess - was this a male doctor?
    I've never heard such a load of twaddle. Having a C-section may be best for the doctor's schedule, but there are many, many reasons why you don;t have a CS unless medically neccessary: increased risk to mother and baby being the first and most important.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User

Unless the doctor anticipates complications to vaginal birth, he would have to be really unprofessional to say something like that to persuade a mother into elective c-section.

capital is offline Banned

That is completely ridiculous! Sure there are certain medical problem when a c/s is safer than vaginal delivery, but in most cases vaginal delivery is safer.
    I had heard as well that baby picks up the good bacteria. The only cases when you may pick up bad "germs" are HIV and an active herpes infection then c/s is better. Group B step is easily controlled by getting antibiotics is labor, and is very rare anyways, this is not ever a reson to do c/s.

There are lots of benefits to vaginal delivery over c/s, such as your baby will be born at term. With elective c/s there are situations when the dates are wrong and baby is born before he should have been. There are fewer breathing problems as the lungs are squeezed out with a vag delivery. The normal stress of a normal labor on the baby actually releases certain hormones which help lung maturity and also help protect the baby from the reduced oxygen during contractions.

I find it completely crazy that a doctor would say the reason to do the c/s is because of germs. How does he think humans ever managed to reproduce and multiply prior to c/s! Why did we not die off as a species!

In a normal situation the risk to baby and mom is much less with vaginal delivery than compared to a c/s.

carang is offline Registered User

never having had a vaginal delivery, i cannot comment on recovery time. but for those of you who think that recovery from a c is easy...the first time round, i couldn't sleep on my side for over 3 weeks! the second time round, that was reduced to 3 days (although it was still painful!) the first time round the stitches were too tight, and it was excruciating to walk. the second time round was much better. the first time round i developed a blood clot that got infected and poured through the incision... NOT a pretty sight, let me tell you!
    the second time round no problem...

what i'm trying to say is that the recovery time can be quite fast or it can be horrendous!

there's a lot more that can go wrong with a c.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12