Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Feeding my 9 month old

tzechuk is offline Registered User
    Beky, how old is your son? I remember when my LO was still 9 months, she was feeding 5/6 times a day! She was breastfed, so I don't know if that made any difference? Is your DS bfed?

If I am not mistaken, you are not supposed to give solids in place of milk when they are under a year old. You are supposed to feed first, then give solids afterwards - to let them get used to it..

I could very well be wrong, but I believe that's what I read.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Hi,

He's 8.5 months old and 100% breastfed. I read that from 9 months a lot of babies will start having milk just twice a day and that that's fine.

I dropped the 4pm feed because he just didn't want it and I really didn't want to force him to nurse if he didn't want to- I figured that might lead to an unhealthy relationship with food etc.
    He refuses milk then but will quite happily eat some fruit, or snack so I figured why not? I'd rather I listen to what he wants than do something because a book says I should.

Never had any problems with his weight and development- he has always been a big and tall baby and at 8.5 months he is very almost walking!

I think all babies are different and it's important to listen to what they want.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    PS- also my son is a great eater, he has never ever refused any food amd now chomps his way through chicken, fish, beef, rice, pasta, any kind of bread, cheese, and every vegetable kmown to man! We never have had to get him use to solids he has always eaten everything and anything we have given him!

What I've read/been told is that when you first start a baby on solids it's important to nurse them first, and then give them solids-
    a). To keep your milk supply up
    b). To ensure baby is still getting the right nutrition etc.

However once a baby eats solids well it is important to stop giving milk when you give them a solid meal because-
    a). It fills them up and discourages them from taking solids
    b). They have to learn to seperate milk and meal times and you don't want to get in a situation where baby will only eat solids if he knows he will get milk too

This is what I've applied to my son and it seems to of worked well for us.
    Last edited by bekyboo44; 06-30-2007 at 10:39 AM.

Sara is offline Registered User

Breakfast cereal

I bought a box of Hipp Organic's Hipp-a-bisc at Bumps to Babes yesterday. It looks very much like Weetabix. The box says from 6 months to 3 years, created specially for babies and toddlers. I tried it on my girl (9 months old) this morning, unfortunately she wasn't excited about it! She loves Yoplait Baby Fruit Yoghurt though and will easily eats 2 containers (100 g. each) if I let her!

Matty is offline Registered User
    Agree with Bekyboo44, lots of babies have different feeding patterns, and it's important to listen to what they want and not force milk feeds.
    Once they start solids they should be getting between 500-800ml of milk per day up until 1 year.

My 9 month old has 3 solid feeds, and 3 milk feeds a day.
    The only feed that starts with milk is breakfast, where he will happily have 270ml (9.5oz) then cereal and fruit.
    He flatly refuses milk before lunch or dinner, has a 4pm, and one before bed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12