Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Natural Active Labour in HK

jacqui is offline Registered User

Hi, I had my first baby at the Queen Elizabeth and it was a pretty bad experience. I found the staff to be rigid and detached. They got annoyed when I grunted from the pain and kept yelling at me to hold it in so I'd have energy to push. I was also in bed the whole time and even when it was time to push I had to lie flat, which I heard increases chances of tearing. PLUS in my birthplan I said no episiotomy but they took litberties and snipped away which really wasn't necessary as my baby was tiny, only 2.2kg which is less than 5 pounds!
    They gave me a birthplan form for me to fill out but I don't know how serious they were about respecting my wishes... within reason and safety of course. Maybe I'll try giving them one of my own this time. I am hoping that perhaps the bad experience was simply due to my particular case as. HAs anyone given birth at the QEH? How was it? I am nervous about it and am desperately trying to get my hands on a copy of Hypnobirthing by Marie F. Mongan in the next few days because I am already 37 weeks along. I heard about the book way too late. Help!

jools is offline Registered User

You need to talk to Louise at Annerley Midwives. She runs a course on hypnobirthing which my friend did. She delivered at the Queen Mary and because she didn't appear to be in any pain because she was using the techniques, she was left pretty much alone, until she was well into her labour. I also think that basically it's the case of standing up for your rights-your husband might need to be the stroppy one as you probably won't be in any fit state.
    Another option you may wish to consider is returning to Australia-I don't know if that's possible but a couple of friends of mine went home to give birth and then came back later.
    If you go private then you are in a greater position to get the birth you want as obviously you're paying for it; but I do know of lots of people who have given birth in the public system and been happy with their experience. The doctors and nurses tend to want to stick to their routines, but there are usually ways around this.

jacqui is offline Registered User

I just called Mrs. Chee at Everdawn today. She says that the QEH has midwives there who will respect their patient's wishes. She says that I should request to have their midwives deliver me and as long as I am under their care, they run the show and not the OB. Unless something goes wrong and there are complications the OB doesn't intervene.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12