Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Natural Active Labour in HK

erialcisland is offline Registered User

Natural Active Labour in HK

Hi everyone!

We are six weeks pregnant with baby no. 2. Baby no. 1 was born in Australia at a public hospital there. I had mostly midwife care throughout the pregnancy and delivered without pain relief (didn't feel the need as I dealt with pain through being active - moving around, sitting on a gym ball, showering, bathing, massage etc.) and without an ob present.

I would like my second experience of childbirth to be similar (I know we don't have total control of these things) but after my first visit at my local MCHC I was laughed at by the nurses and doctors that I would want to (a) see a hospital before I decide to give birth there and (b) that I would want to be active in my labour (ie not be put straight into bed and be monitored the whole time). The doctor I saw said it is standard practice to give bed rest during labour in HK.

Can anyone share with me their experience of labour in HK where it was active like I have shared? We would go public if it meant that we could write our birth plan - but it seems they are very inflexible and sterile environments too. Matilda looks great and sounds great on their website but I am totally freaked out at the costs - we have no medical cover for pregnancy. If we have to then I will pay for getting the labour that I would like though.

Thanks heaps!

ctrbabe1 Guest

Well I thought that they encouraged you to see the hospital first. I know QMH has hospital tours every Saturday at noon.

But yes, going public, they do prefer you to be in bed the whole time. They don't like you walking around the ward. That was one of the reasons that I tried to labor at home as long as I could before heading in, and when I got there it was only an hour or two before I got an epidural and had to stay in bed anyway.

Matty is offline Registered User

I delivered last October at QMH.

I spent the early part of labour at home where I could be completely comfortable.
    I was about 8cm by the time I was in the labour suite at QMH.

I had no drugs and the staff were fine with me having an Active labour. They were quite encouraging as I tried standing, hands and knees etc to find what was most comfortable.
    They had my birth plan ahead of time and respected all my wishes.

I saw an ob for about 10 mins when I first arrived, after that I was attended by midwives who were brilliant.

I would do it exactly the same way next time.

I did the tour of QMH when I was pregnant, but found that it wasn't a great indication of how good the staff and hospital actually are.
    On the tour I was told 'no you can't do things that way' a lot, but on the day it was all fine.
    I think giving them a birth plan ahead of time helps.
    If you want to use a birth ball, but don't want to do their antenatal classes (which are quite useless) you can get a letter from a private midwife to say that you've covered birthballs in a private class.

Basically, everything is possible at QMH, some of it just needs a bit of planning.

jane01 is offline Registered User

If you don't have any medical cover, you would not want to go to the Matilda.

One option if going public (or private) is to have a midwife/doula at home until the last minute, then transfer to the hospital. One midwife who offers this service is Hulda from Annerley Midwifes.

http://www.annerley.com.hk/

She is the one to speak to about active/natural birth in HK.

ctrbabe1 Guest

Matty, when exactly did you give them your birth plan? I never found a good opportunity...

Well unfortunately we're in Lantau Island so I don't think I will be able to stay at home until I am 8cm... I might have the baby on the MTR or a Bus!!

I've looked into Annerley and may use some of their services - maybe I need to look into homebirth?

Aaah so stressed!!!!!!!!

Matty is offline Registered User

ctrbabe1, I gave them my birth plan around 28weeks.
    Tell them you need to have something added to your file. You may have to wait a little longer, but I found the Dr was happy to go through it with me.

[QUOTE=Matty;854191]

I did the tour of QMH when I was pregnant, but found that it wasn't a great indication of how good the staff and hospital actually are.
    On the tour I was told 'no you can't do things that way' a lot, but on the day it was all fine.
    QUOTE]

You see, If I was told on the tour that I couldn't do it then I wouldn't want to book in there. I am trying to work out the best way I can do this. Is there an Ob that someone can recommend who'd support active labour?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast