Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

BF and birth control pills ???

eva
    eva is offline Registered User

BF and birth control pills ???

Hi moms,
    I am still BF my 16 mths old baby and wondering if i can resume taking my birth control pills ? i read that it'll diminish supply even in established bf moms ? can anybody help please?

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    If you are still breastfeeding and want to use the Pill, it is recommended that you use the progestogen-only Pill or mini-Pill.

The normal Pill has two hormones, oestrogen and progestogen. It is the oestrogen that tends to reduce your milk supply.

There are other options like the Mirena, a contraceptive device that contains the active ingredient levonorgestrel. I suggest that you talk with your doctor to find out which is the best for you while breastfeeding.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Hi,

I am breastfeeding my 8.5 month old son and was prescribed Microlut which is'safe' for breastfeeding.
    It's not as reliable as the normal pill however.

Not all Dr. in HK know about it- I have had several pharmacists tell me that there is no such thing as a pill you can take when b/f...don't believe them, there is and it is available in HK!

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    My OB said taking pill was fine. I was more concerned with what the pill would carry onto the baby. He said that over the course of 12 months she would likey consume one tablet.

capital is offline Banned
    I am taking the minipill I just started. My baby is 15 months. Avoid any estrogen containing pills, that is what will affect your milk supply.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Dear Vegemite_kid,

I am in London until next week and unfortunately do not have my copy of Medications and Mothers Milk by Thomas Hale with me. But I will look up and see what he says about these drugs when I return to Hong Kong.

It is true that a minute part of everything we eat and drink, including drugs, does get in to our milk. If these very small quantities are a worry to you, I recommend that you use a non hormonal method of contraception.

Best wishes,
    SARAH