Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Any remedies for cough and runny nose?

mintycat is offline Registered User

Any remedies for cough and runny nose?

My 2 year old ran a fever yesterday (38 degrees) and has a clear runny nose today. Normally we try to let her fight it on her own and it has worked a few times. We just give paracetamol for the fever but for the runny nose, we just use Vicks, humidifier, elevated pillows, lots of water, vitamin C and rest. But she started to have a congested cough tonight and she doesn't have much of an appetite. We have a one month old at home so I am thinking of taking her to the doctor but as you know, the docs in HK like to prescribe tons of medicine and we don't want her dependent on them.

What do you do when your LO is sick but not sick enough to really see a doc and take tons of meds? Yet I am thinking maybe we should take her in so the baby doesn't catch it.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    I agree that the doctors here are too willing to prescribe medication for young kids. Our son has the same thing and we are letting him fight it off himself by doing all the same things you are doing. We took him to a doctor and he prescribed him antibiotics. I'm pretty sure if kids are under two they should avoid medication.

I also have a one month old and have been told that because i am breastfeeding the baby is protected. If you are worried about the cough maybe just get a cough syrop but apart from that i would just keep on as you are.

syuan is offline Registered User
    we use a natural supplement called Sambucol, which contains things like elderberry and echinacea. can be bought at 360 or IMI. i find it helps my kids (4 and 2.5 years old) a lot in fighting off things, but also as a daily maintenance.

KatBoo is offline Registered User
    My 2 year old is also suffering from a cold at the moment (as is the rest of the household inc my 6 week old twins....who I'm breastfeeding). We put some Olbas Oil onto a tissue in his room to help him breath (similar to Vicks), and give him a dose of Medised Syrup. I'm not sure if you can buy it here in HK but it's a combination of paracetamol and anti-histamine, so it helps them to sleep and is a decongestant.

btw, if anyone knows of somewhere in HK that sells Medised can you let me know....I went to stock up in Bumps-to-Babes today and they don't stock it! May have to get some sent out from the UK as we can't survive colds without it!

elmo is offline Banned
    Apparently, if you apply Vicks on kiddies' feet and cover with socks for the night, it helps stop the coughing.

Histamin is offline Registered User
    syuan
    We have also used sambucol which works well with the kids when they have colds, cough.
    by the way, may I ask what's 360? is it the name of shop? Please tell me where it is.
    Thanks
    Histamin

syuan is offline Registered User
    360 is the supermarket inside the Landmark in Central.

Histamin is offline Registered User
    syuan
    Thanks a lot,
    will have a look then.
    Histamin