Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

International Pre schools/Kindergarten in Shatin Vicinity

sherron is offline Registered User
    Or you could see this as a wonderful opportunity for your son to learn a new language and enrol him in a Chinese school.
    We are doing that with our 3 year old this year as I know through research that if a child learns a second language under the age of 5 he develops what is called code switching in his brain which enables him to switch languages without having to translate. This is much more difficult as we get older.
    Anyway just a thought as we live in Ma On Shan and I just spent a year teaching at an international kindy here. I wasn't impressed terribly and I think it's more important that the environment and class size is even more important than the language spoken int he class room.
    Depends on the personality of your child though. my son is a rather out going creature so am not too worried about him having friends.

carolyndrewery is offline Registered User
    Hi there! I have a very similar situation, I have just moved here from the UK and am living in Shatin. I have a 4 and a half year old and a 8 month old baby. My oldest son will hopefully get into Shatin Junior school for the new term in September but I need to send him somewhere until then. Any suggestions? I think maybe it will be too late for the ESF kindergarten and also I want something a little more relaxed for a little while. thanks :]

shwetakhanna is offline Registered User
    Hi carolyndrewery

You can try Hongkong Preschool in Royal ascot, or Boxhill and ICS kindies in Jubilee garden. Where do you live in shatin? I think there must be a kindie in the estate you live in. We are in Royal ascot so i would like my daughter to go to one these kindies as they are all in walking distance, but right now i take my duaghetr to Kowloon Tong for playgroup.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by e-mum View Post
    Would recommend Hong Lok Yuen, in Tai Po (about 20mins away) They follow a British curriculum. Plus the majority of the children who attend are from English speaking families from overseas. That way, your child would be happier since he will be able to communicate w/ his classmates.
    HLY--very diverse, seems to be a great school, but very expensive and far from just about everything. You can't take the train there and it might be more than a 20 minute bus ride from Shatin. To take public transport, outside of a cab, you'll end up switching often, so I assume you mean a 20 minute, school bus ride.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carolyndrewery View Post
    I think maybe it will be too late for the ESF kindergarten and also I want something a little more relaxed for a little while. thanks :]
    I think all the ESF deadlines for next September passed a long time ago.

shwetakhanna is offline Registered User
    If you live in Shatin, I think Kowloon tong is a better option than Tai PO, its easily accessible. And Most of the International schools there are cheaper than HLY. Also almost all the schools ther have their school buses to most of the residential estates in shatin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12