Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

helper hours?

carang is offline Registered User
    aussiegal...when we were looking you would have been shocked at the number of DH who, once they heard hubby is local, decided they weren't interested in having an interview afterall...

joannek is offline Registered User
    yes, locals have a reputation of being "meaner" (like me!!) & expats are known to be more allowing (shorter working hrs, no house rules, no uniform, etc). if you know what my DH's house rules are, i'll get shot at again (can a person die twice in cyberspace?) =)

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    aussiegal...when we were looking you would have been shocked at the number of DH who, once they heard hubby is local, decided they weren't interested in having an interview afterall...
    our DH flew to HK on same flight with another filipina, who was also first time working outside Philippines. She saw her again after ~2 months, at parknshop... she was shopping with a western guy, who had his arm around her. If he's the employer, I hope he doesn't have a wife!

HappyV is offline Registered User
    joannesk - why do you think there are such differences between locals and westerners?
    (BTW - I count myself very firmly as both Westerner and local.....)
    I think a lot of it comes down to not only what we expect when we emply someone, but wat we expect when we are employed ourselves.

capital is offline Banned
    joannek, please share the house rules. I am really curious! It is interesting to hear how other people live

jane01 is offline Registered User
    joannek - your helper wears a uniform????

joannek is offline Registered User
    LOL. she wears white collared t-shirt & khaki long or 3/4 pants, socks & shoes, which are all provided. all of my friend's helpers wear those. she needs to tie up their hair, short nails, no nail polish (i'm dead already, so don't shoot!), no makeup. no chatting on the phone during working hours. returning before 9pm on holidays.

i've never had a DH before i had my baby. i grew up like most of you here without help at home so i'm used to sharing the household chores with my mom & sis. everything i know about hiring, treating & training a DH was taught to me by my agent, and my friends.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Personally i don't have a problem with the uniform thing. It's not like you are making her wear a french maid's outfit! It's like us going to work and being asked to wear a uniform or at least dress to a certain standard. I also agree with the not talking on the phone during work hours. The number of helpers you see taking the kids out to play etc that then ignore them while they talk on the phone for ages is quite something. It's not something I'd put up with.

I don't however get the rational behind the make up and the 9pm curfew (unless you're helper likes to apply make up like a hooker that is). If my boss told me to be home by 9pm the night before i go to work I'd tell him something that would probably put me out of a job.... This seems to happen a lot here. I would never demand that my helper be home by a certain time the night before. As long as she can do her job and isn't coming home drunk etc what's the big deal? It's not like they get a lot of time of, especially at your house joannek

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast