Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

9 month old getting up at night

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User

9 month old getting up at night

For 4 days, baby would get up in middle of the night and wouldn't go back to sleep in his own cot. He would sleep in my arms but as soon as I put him in his cot, he would stand up and play. Tried to let him play until he's tired but he just kept playing and he would scream to get our attention. He surely looked very tired. Finally, I got him to sleep by sleeping with him!

Now that he can stand and cruise, I really don't want him sleeping with us for fear that he might fall off the bed while we are asleep... help! What can I do to get him sleep in his own cot?

pinkpearl is offline Registered User

Hi,we have 13months old..and we have put his cot in our room for past 5 months...initially the baby was sleeping with us .Now what i do is i keep the lights very dim so that he knows its night time ,its time to sleep and whenever he gets up i give him the feed and put him back into his cot..
    i try not to sleep him for a longer duration in the day time...especially in the evening.

ELT

For the 5th day, he got up in middle of the night. It was around 2am. He didn't make any noise. He just stood there and watched us sleep. When my husband woke and opened his eyes, he just laughed as if they were playing peek-a-boo! Again, he wouldn't sleep until he was lying down between me and my husband. And worst, he woke again at around 4am and started playing us. First he pulled my ear with one hand and his dad's with another. When he got bored with it, he squeezed my nose and stuck his finger in my nostril, then scratched my eyes before he went on attacking his dad. This kept on for over 30 min. Eventually our helper was woken by his laughs and brought him out of our room so we could get some sleep.

Gosh! What's going on? Help!

sayang is offline Registered User

same thing happened to us, abt the same months 10-12 mths. Baby sleeps between hubby and me and would always wake up in the middle of the night to play. It was cute in the beginning but it gets really tiring, we never had enough sleep. So from then on, coupled with baby finally fell from the bed, I decided to move him back to his cot.

First week was tough, he refuse to sleep in his cot and so I did the crying game. I let him cry while I sat next to his cot with no eye contact and no response to his crying. When he slightly calm down, then I put him back to sleep position. First few days, I had to repeat the process many times but when it gets to the third day, he gets it. By the fourth day, when I put him down in his cot, he knows its sleeping time so just went to sleep on his own. But remember no patting, no singging, no caressing, and no nothing, i also had the light off. It may sound cruel but I wouldn't have it any other way now that he sleeps on his own in his cot.

All the best, key is persevere no matter how hard it gets.

ELT

Thanks sa****! It is reassuring to know there is a way to deal with this. We have always reacted instantly to his cries so it is going to be hard, but same as your concern -- it is tiring and we really worry that he would fall off the bed while we are asleep.

helensands is offline Registered User

Baby can sleep through the night....

I am a sleep consultant for babies and children and guarantee that babies from 5 months of age (if not earlier) can sleep through the night from 7pm until about 6.30am. I consult with parents all over the world, in a "long distance" capacity, so if I can be of help, please contact me through my website. Getting a baby to sleep through the night is a complex issue and there are many factors involved. Let me know if I can assist you ......... www.helensands.com