Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good stroller for toddler for HK terrain?

m2cw2mhk is offline Registered User

Good stroller for toddler for HK terrain?

Hi all,
    We are moving to Hong Kong in just a few weeks with a 2 year old. I'm so excited to get there. I'm trying to figure out what baby gear is coming with us. Part of that is strollers. Does anyone have thoughts about what makes a good stroller for a big toddler and Hong Kong terrain? Right now I have a Combi, which it seems like a lot of people like, but we've used it pretty hard and it's getting pretty raggedy, and I have a really hard time adjusting the straps and they just don't seem to fit my very tall 2 year old very well any more. So I was thinking about getting something else, maybe something even more lightweight and portable and something will work well for city streets and hills (we'll be living in the Shouson Hill area.) Do I need bigger cushier wheels, for example?

Any suggestions? I've searched the archives but most of the stroller posts are about new babies.

kashismum is offline Registered User

I'd go for a Maclaren. Don't spend a lot; you'll probably find you won't use a stroller too often, especially if you have a car.

Although my daughter is a little younger; at 23lbs, I still find it MUCH easier to use a carrier (Ergo) or a hipseat for short trips.

HTH.

wintermom is offline Registered User

Strollers & Carriers

Hi m2cw2mhk,

I concur with Kashismum. I would consider a child carrier an essential item, the Ergo and/or a frame type backpack- whatever is comfortable for you.

For strollers for a two year old, go with the lightest-weight umbrella- style you can find. Maclaren makes good ones, there are also other ultra-lightweight ones from Silver Cross with very good wheels, and I think Graco and Combi. I would go for quality for sure- mine goes up and down steps all the time, over bumpy curbs, and gets folded and unfolded frequently, thrown in and out of taxis, across sand, up and down escalators. It has held up very well. Also consider sun and rain protection options as you need both most of the time.

JoTs is offline Registered User

I would definitely go for a Maclaren - we have a Quest and it has been excellent - like others have said, needs to be v hard wearing - mine gets bumped down steps, put up and down all the time. It has survived v well so far...

e-mum is offline Registered User

My son is using the Maclaren Quest at 2.5yrs.old and I have found it to be v. sturdy and mre. spacious than most other brands here. If you are planning to go on lots of walks on bumpy streets then you might consider the Maclaren Techno XT which has bigger wheels but is heavier.

turtle is offline Registered User

My vote is for the Maclaren Techno XT, although we do a lot of walking with our dog so require the slightly heavier duty Techno than Quest. Have not met anyone else who can say anything again the Maclarens.

Welcome to HK!

Bess is offline Registered User

Smile

I also agree, the Mclaren Techno is very versitle. We use it for both my 2.5yr and 5mth. Handles the bumbs well, and even though it is 2 yrs old now, it's still going strong. Downside is the weight and trying to lift it and the bub, which is why we also have a Graco city sport. It's only 4kg and easy to get on/off buses by myself, but it is on the short side and doesn't come with its own rain cover (a must here).

mommy sara is offline Registered User

I find it depends also on where you will be living. If you're in mid-levels area where there are a lot of steep hills and will be walking a lot it's much easier to go without a stroller. There are steps everywhere and it's hard to get through doors and shopping asiles with a stroller. If you don't have a car and will be using bus/taxi you will have to take it in and out continualy. I use a carrier though yours sounds a bit big for that.

If you really do need one, I think you might find a better selection here. I'm also from the US and was surprised at how many great European and Australian brands are here. I love ones with inflatable wheels as it makes it easier to push and minimizes the bumps. A hand brake is nice on the hills. The combi is probably not sturdy enough for Hong Kong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast