Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Long-haul flights in 2nd trimester

Phillisimo is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

Long-haul flights in 2nd trimester

I'm wondering how many of y'all mommies flew long-haul, e.g. Europe or America, during your 2nd trimester and whether you encountered any in-flight problems like gas, cramping or other discomforts?

Although I've been given the go ahead by the doctor, because this is my first pregnancy, I am torn between the unknown risks of flying for me and my baby, and having to face the firing squad i.e. the in-laws. I really don't want to miss my buddy's wedding.

So if any mommies flew long-haul during your 2nd trimester, can you please share your first-hand experiences and honest opinions with a fellow first-time mommy?

Much thanks!

mum of 2 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Despite protests from parents, flew all over the place; London to South Africa/NY/Hawaii/Sydney and HK to London/Sydney/Auckland. No problems whatsoever! Enjoy the wedding.

arismom is offline Registered User
    Kowloon, Hong Kong
    I was told the 2nd trimester was the best time to travel. We went from HK to Australia and I was fine. Just made sure I kept drinking water, walked around a lot, and stretched out as much as I could on the seats. A lot of couples take 'baby moons' during the 2nd trimester as that is when you apparently are feeling the best (ie 1st trimester = morning sickness etc and 3rd trimester = too heavy).
    Good luck!

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong, Mid Levels
    I've flown long and short haul all the way through 1st to the 3rd trimester. Bump has been to 8 different countries. Had no problems, just get an aisle seat, flight socks and drink lots of water.

rani is offline Administrator
    Pokfulam, Hong Kong
    We went to Madrid/London during my 2nd trimester. No problems at all. I did take my own snacks on the flight. I would feel very queasy if I didn't eat meals at the right times.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I took a long haul flight to England when in my second trimester with my last child. On the way home I had terrible pains in my legs. They felt really swollen and it was really difficult to move them.

At the time I assumed this was a problem with being pregnant but I experienced similar (but not as bad) problems last week while returning from England. I am flying to the USA next week and have decided to purchase a pair of the special flying socks to help with blood circulation – even though they seem very expensive for a pair of socks.