Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Education voucher

artistinhk is offline Registered User

Red face Education voucher

HI, we are enrolling our 3yr into a local school and have been advised that there is a voucher system whereupon the government subsidizes $10,000 per year for the first child attending "a preapproved voucher school/preschool".

OK, my question is; we are Kiwi's, HKID cards recently issued, but not permanent residents - at this stage with a 1 year visa/HKID.

Has anyone applied through this voucher system with a child not born in HK and been successful?

How does it work? Thanks for any advice, much appreciated!

Shirley is offline Registered User
    Hi artistinhk
    My daughter was born in London and she is here on a dependant visa even though my husband and I have permanent ID cards. So my husband asssumed she cannot get this voucher after reading the criteria required to apply. The deadline to apply was I think 31st May this year. A week before this deadline my friend asked me if I had applied and I said no cause because she was on an independant visa. My friend immediately said of course she can as her daughter has already got her voucher (she was born in Malaysia and also on an independant visa). So I told my husband about it and quickly filled an application form and sent it off. We got the voucher about 2 weeks later. Another friend said to me as long as the HK immigration allows you to stay in HK ie thru work or dependant visas, then yes you can apply for it. Check out this website for more details :

http://www.sfaa.gov.hk/eng/schemes/pevs.htm

Give it a try. If you don't get it at least you know.
    Hope that makes sense
    Regards

HK2008 is offline Registered User

new info needed please

I know this is an old thread but we have exactly the same question now. My DD was born in Australia and we are here on dependent visas and hubby on working visa. Looks like we can apply or at least give it a go for the education voucher, but does anyone know whether we need to present her birth certificate(born in oz) along with the following documents:
    1. HK ID cards copies for myself and hubby;
    2. passports front page and visa page copies for myself, hubby and DD

Any expat families who have successfully obtained the pre-primary education voucher, your advice on this is very much appreciated.

carang is offline Registered User
    i provided my son's BC with the application.

it was dead easy and very straight forward.. the BEST thing is....now we pay $160/MONTH for my son's school!

anewnickname is offline Banned
    If your child is resident in HK, s/he qualifies under the following eligibility criterion:
    Hong Kong residents with right of abode, right to land or valid permission to remain without any condition of stay (other than limit of stay) in Hong Kong

A dependant visa qualifies as right to land with a limit of stay.

Just that some kindys are profit making and do not participate in the scheme.

actually to be technical, right to land is something VERY different to dependent visa, HOWEVER, both are eligible for the voucher

HK2008 is offline Registered User
    It's great news for us. Thank you guys for your prompt reply. I shall get on to it straight away. However, we paid the full fee for Feb. 2009 as I automatically dismissed myself from being eligible for the voucher(silly me indeed as the school reminded me twice of such a voucher). Carang just letting you know I enjoy all your posts very much. You must be a very nice person to be around. Many of your posts made me smile/laugh as they are very down-to-earth and funny, and informative. Did I mention encouraging as well?

awwww.... shucks! here i thought, what an obnoxious canadian I was....

thanks! you made my day!