Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

7 week old has a cold

mintycat is offline Registered User

7 week old has a cold

My 7 week old has a cold, I think she caught it from her big sister. She is very congested and her nose is stuffy, but the mucous that comes out when she sneezes is clear. On Sat, I took her to the ped and he told us to give her saline spray 3 times a day. No meds because there is no fever and she is too young. She has been eating and sleeping well until today. I am breastfeeding but she is so sleepy and stuff all the time she she only nurses for 3 mins and refuses to nurse anymore. So I have been pumping and offering her 3-4 oz of EBM every 3-4 hours. but she is still refusing to drink. She had 4 oz last night at midnight and didn't wake up til this morning at 7 am and took in only 2.5 oz. And then at 11 am, 1.5 oz. She is still sleeping.

I am worried, what can I do?

The ped told us to go back in 2 days and if the situation hasn't gotten better, he wants to do some tests and perhaps an x-ray. I totally don't think that's necessary, is it?! I mean we get a cold and it takes a few days to clear, I don't want to subject her to tests that involves swabbing her nose and x-ray!

intrigue is offline Registered User
    Hi,

Whenever my son has a cold I make sure he's sleeping at a tilt - 45 degrees or so. Helps to drain the nose and there is always such a difference for him if I do that.

Cheers.

sasa is offline Registered User

Hi

Don't worry, my son got a cold when he was only 7 weeks old, as you said, caught it off his brother. At least you know where he caught it from as opposed to not knowing how he got it. He's probably refusing milk because his nose is blocked. You just have to feed as much as he wants at this time. As long as he does not have a fever I think its ok. I did not take my son to the doctor when he had a cold. The fact that your breast feeding like I did is good because it will help him fight the cold. I noticed that my son recovered quite quickly, maybe it was because I was breastfeeding.

Nula is offline Registered User
    Try the nasal spray before you feed so that she might sneeze to make it easier. When my 2nd at about the same time as yours had a cold I also used one of those nasal pumps for babies - it tended to make him sneeze as well.

Ali71 is offline Banned
    I guess there is not much you can do; I doubt you would want to fill her with medicines or antibiotics and personally I doubt they would do anything. Breastmilk is a natural antibiotic. I, myself, would express some milk onto a spoon or into a teat pipette and squeeze it into her mouth or even water if she won't feed, and then let her sleep it off. At least you have a good ped who will keep an eye on her if you are worried. You can always clear her nose using those things that they do when they are born. My 17 month old has a nasty cold so I shall be up in the night thinking of you too. Good luck

klich is offline Registered User
    I remember my baby son having a cold when he was about 8 weeks and we were cleaning his nose with saline drops (they exist in little tubes in France) regularly a few times a day. We were also watching his temperature and twice a day I carried him in the bathroom, shut the doors and let the hot water run so that the room steams up. This is supposed to help clear his nose. He got better after a few days.

mintycat is offline Registered User
    Thanks for all your advise.

I have been letting LO sleep on an incline, use nasal aspirator to suck out the mucous and saline drops. I also have a humidifier in or room. I hope she gets better soon, she seems to be.

Luckily she seems to be drinking well today. I gave her bottles of breastmilk and hopefully tomorrow she will be more awake so I can go back to nursing her.

MickeyMom is offline Registered User
    the bathroom steam techniques always worked for my son when he was a baby and cannot sneeze on his own. hope that works for your baby too.