Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Safe to get pregnant in HK?

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    I find this a weird post and a little insulting - ok, a lot insulting . Are we all bad mothers for having children here? Are our children less wonderful, less intelligent, less lovable because of it?

The pollution in HK is not great but you can choose to live in areas where it isn't so bad. We buy all our fruit, veg, meat etc from Australia and other countries with better quality control - I'm sure you can get your NZ fish though you might care to know that too much fish during pregnancy has shown to be a bad thing.

But most perplexing is that you worry about what living in HK would do to the health of your unborn (and not yet conceived) but don't seem to worry about the health of your son. He's already breathing the air in and chances are he WILL get allergies and he WILL be sicker a lot more often than he would be if you stayed in NZ.

josoo is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

Safe to get pregnant in HK?

Can't agree more! Wake up and smell the flowers for crying out loud? Its actually sad that you think "our country" is so dirty that you shouldn't breed here. Do you live in the dark ages or maybe in a cave?

Neha is offline Banned
    Mid Levels, Hong Kong
    Of course u always have the option of going back to your beloved New Zealand and breathe the pure air there. Also u have the option of not having a second child if u think u couldnt love your own flesh n blood

reei is offline Registered User
    Hung Hom
    though i do not agree with artistinhk, i am sure she is not the only one who feels this way about hk. there many couples i know in hk, who refuse to have children because they think hk is not a place good enough to have children, extremely high cost of living, air pollution, extreme pressure to achieve everything,, from kindergarten till university, everything is a competition..
    but u know, in this environment u can have a great kid or a spoilt brat, whatever, depends on how u raise your child. that's what i think..

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    i think that artistinhk, although sounding a little.... ummmm.... condescending...actually is truly worried about what it would be like. i do agree that if it was such a huge concern, then why is her son here?

try to keep the "advice" constructive. i'm sure she expected the negative responses, but you would do more for your case setting her mind at rest with all the positives about having and raising kids here than berating her.

Konradsmom is offline Registered User
    I have to say that I don't agree with the original post - but this is my experience as a local 9born adn bred) . Sure I dind't grow up with the fresh air and great food that other countries offer . I was stressed as a child trying to match my peers when it comes to academics, remaining competitive etc. I didn't have the luxury of being able to spend time with my mom that much as she had to work full time - heck those days parents were too busy trying to keep the family afloat I pretty much brought myself up - whoever heard of playgroups amd after school activities ?

But the flip side is I don't suffer from allergies,asthma etc ( my friends who grew up in very clean countries had a hard time getting used to more polluted countries) - as I probblay have enough toxins in me already ! The competitive enviroment in HK made my transition abroad ( I went overseas to study) a piece of cake. I didn't even have things like hay fever - something many US /canadian people suffer from.

I guess there is an upside to gorwing up in HK after all.

artistinhk is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    Wow, what a response.

My apologies to those that are offended, that is a real shame as it was not my intention.

Of course logically we can leave Hong Kong, however as I said in my post, actually we are here because we love Hong Kong, especially the people.

The question was a honest question to find out if this thought has crossed any ones mind and how they personally dealt with it, I think maybe I needed to soften the wording.

Yes, we choose to live here now, with our child and all are healthy and happy. I realise by posting this log that actually it is my fears of parenting 2 children but initially this fear was masked by our concern of the environment.

I understand now that perhaps this is not appropriate to post such a question.

Interesting that such offence is taken when I am simply asking?

pinemarten is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong Island
    I think it's a perfectly valid concern and it's one I shared. I decided to go ahead and have a baby because the timing was right, but would much prefer to have been pregnant (and raise a baby) in clean air. Nothing wrong with that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast