Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Safe to get pregnant in HK?

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by artistinhk View Post
    Interesting that such offence is taken when I am simply asking?
    It's not interesting that offence was taken, it's predictable - we are all mothers who love our children and would do anything for them. Even you forsaw that offence would be taken - you said your question wasn't 'politically correct'.

I still find it interesting to know why HK is ok for one of your children but wouldn't be for a second one...

I think it is as you say - you are really just undecided about having a second child. This is the real question that needs to be answered.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    The air may be wonderful in NZ but it's still an isolated, oft times insular place. Chldren in HK are exposed to a range of different cultures, nearby countries, languages and influences - all invaluable experiences. I loved my childhood in NZ, but am pleased that my child (soon to born in HK) will grow up bilingual, with a diverse outlook and will appreciate NZ all the more having seen those far less fortunate at close quarters.

goodbye kitty is offline Registered User
    There are so many considerations when bringing a child into the world. I sometimes feel that expat children have a rather sheltered life and wonder if my children will have an understanding of the 'real world'. I'm from a working class background and wonder if they will have the sense of identity and social responsibility that I was raised with. On the other hand, would I want my child to be brought up where I was with high crime, street violence and limited choices? Probably not.

I know that this is a little off the original thread but the fears are the same: Are we doing the best for our offspring?

I'm not sure anyone can claim to have had a perfect childhood but we love and respect our parents for doing their utmost with whatever means they had. While, I might add, ensuring their own happiness is highly considered. I think that happy parents make for happier children.

So my response is that you should go ahead and have your child here because HK makes you happy. You will have to do your best to counteract the negative aspects of this particular place (like you would in any environment - limited friends in a rural place, for example), and that's what will make you a good parent.

Just my two-pennies-worth.

carang is offline Registered User
    will your children have a sense of identity and social responsibilty???

ONLY IF YOU TEACH IT TO THEM!

dimsum mum is offline Registered User
    amen to that.

goodbye kitty is offline Registered User
    Hmmm? Looks like noone's allowed to express their personal fears on this website lest the perfect mothers get their claws in...

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by goodbye kitty View Post
    Hmmm? Looks like noone's allowed to express their personal fears on this website lest the perfect mothers get their claws in...
    Allowed?? Did I miss something?

carang is offline Registered User
    did i miss something?

all i said was if you want your child to have the things you mentioned... it is up to YOU to teach them. values are taught by parents, or at least they should be.

how is that shooting down your fears???

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast