Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Which kind of assessment speech or for autism?

nanzbier is offline Registered User
    I've made an appointment with Speech and Language Centre. http://www.slcentre.com for an assesment. Will keep you posted.

mummybee is offline Registered User
    my daughter doesn't talk much too - she is 2 end of mth - and i never think there is anything wrong with her except she is a late talker. Sometimes i think as parents, we become so paranoid and so imaginative! Do we realise the norm is more that 2 year olds don;'t talk than they do? In my daughter's playgroup classes, I observed every child closely and realise 9 out of 10 either babble or say 1-2 words. The one exception was a little girl who not just talks but utter 10-word sentences politely and succintly - I told her mother she ahs a genius in her hands. haha.

Another thing I find abt HK doctors in my 4 years here is they are GREAT in scaring people. Once a doctor said my friend's boy has acute bronchitis (and he wasn't even bothered by his minor cough!) and another said her child has a rare bacteria infection bla bla bla. Then the blood tests come in, the speech therapists come in, the expert this expert that - all costing thousands of dollars. I fell into that trap before but never again! My daughter has prearicular pits (ear holes) and doctors ran a million tests to conclude: she can hear afterall. Then she has umbilical hernia - poking here and there, many discussions of surgeries. Then they said she had premature breasts - so she has this syndrome that syndrome. I became smart and fed up frankly about the trend of HK doctors so we went back to Australia for a special medical trip and the conclusion: all is well, her breast tissue is normal cos of hormones she got from me (and in fact has diminished now 6 months later); she can hear perfectly, not just sounds but even subtle language tones/clicks (the PD who saw her has the exact same prearciular pits too!!! and he is smart right?) ; and her hernia? the hole has closed completely by that time. I have spent more than 20,000 in HK just to hear bullshit!

In my simple mind, surely autism cannot be diagnosed based on one parameter of speech capability? There must be other symptoms such as shying from eye contact, anti-social behaviour, actions that go beyond normal naughtiness? I heard from some current affaris programs before that autisim is a very very complex syndrome and hard to diagnose until they are 4-5 years old.

Just my two cents....
    Last edited by mummybee; 08-02-2007 at 11:32 AM.

MickeyMom is offline Registered User
    I completely agree with mummybee.

In fact, when I was researching about Autism before, speech delay is just one of the parameters and is not the most obvious one. Also, there are several types and degrees of Autism too. From that extensive research I did, I even came across the very comprehensive tests clinical psychologists administer to give a conclusive YES or NO. Therefore, when I took my son for consultation, I was able to handle the questions and interact with the experts without being paranoid/scared. Key really is to educate yourself as I found out that doctors in HK do not like to offer information more than what is asked of them. And this can lead to doubts on your part which eventually evolve into paranoia and even panic attacks.

nanzbier is offline Registered User
    Thank you guys so much for all your comments. I completely agree about the paranoia! I've been there! The meeting with Karen at SLC was great. She thinks its language delay and not autism...although she said that it is difficult to assess this early.

rs2000 is offline Registered User
    I know this is quite late to jump in and ask the questions but I am very stressed and worried about my daughter. can the moms here please assess her progress and let me know if this points to austism

1. She did not talk much until 2. just around 10 words. Started to pick up around 2 years 3 months. Now she is 3 and speaks small sentences but would not answer if you ask her anything. Like she would say " I want to play " etc but if you ask her "what did you do in school, did you like it" she wont asnwer it, sometimes just repeats the words
    2. she started walking late. around 17 months. she is our only child
    3. does not play much with other kids. sometimes connects really well with few kids who are a bit older. is quite selective is playign with other kids and making friends
    4. even now she speaks sentences but then 20-30% of the words in there will be just babbling i.e. you wont get clear meaning of what she is saying
    5. likes to watch cartoons, reacts to us, reacts to things she likes, is not anti-social (but a little shy with stangers at the start)
    6. she started going to pre-school 2 months back and her teacher called me today and told that she does not resonse to the instruction much. she wants to do her own thing i.e. what she wants to do at that moment, not what the teacher is saying
    7. sometimes if she cant do what she is trying to do, she becomes a little cranky , would just leaves the blocks (in case she is trying to make something out of the blocks) or would cry or call us to help.
    8. while she is sitting on sofa, sometimes she keep banging her head on the sofa while sitting and watching TV
    being the onl child, yes we have spoilt her a bit and she gets what she wants at home. I am thinking may be its just that she does not have much company at home and thats why is she like that? or do u think its something more serious?

please give your comments.

i would also like to see a child psychologist to do some evaluation/assessment. Please refer me a good child psychologist you have tried. I am very stressed after hearing that from her teacher

thanks a lot!

RS2000,this thread was dated two years ago and lots have happened since then, I am sure, for myself and the other mummies.

I find all your points seems fairly normal behaviour for a 2.5 year old, by that I mean my daughter did just about what you described when she was the same age. The only one I am a bit iffy about is Point 8 with the head banging as I do not see this with my girl. Does she do this frequently? And does she shy away eye contact with you and her father?

My daughter just turned 4.

She started walking at 16mths. Now she is better in sports and balancing than me.

when I first signed her up for playgroup, she didn't acknowledge the teacher for a good 9 months. Seriously. I have to accompany her all the time cos she woul donly sit with me. Now she shoos me away before she arrives the front gate.

She didn't even begin to talk until 3. Her vocabulary is still not as sharp as that of her school friends who were early talkers. But she talks non-stop, with lots of grammatical errors still.

I do find things started to change around 3 for my daughter. I guess she was a late bloomer and perhaps your child is too. If your child is saying 10-20 words, that is certainly more than what my daughter could utter at the same age.

Also I don't think kids learn to play with each other until much later? They just play along each other.

Since she is the only child, are you exposing her to a noisy environment? eg is she allowed to watch TV, do you talk to her all the time?

Is she exposed to public places where she can see lots of people eg playgrounds? local libraries? gatherings / parties? I find these to help my daughter's wariness of strangers.

Is your child exposed to more than one language at home? Hubby and I made the decision to keep to one language and that seems to help a bit.

Sorry I don't have any recommendations but other mummies may have.

Good luck and don't worry too much. She is still very young afterall. Give her some time to grow and gain her confidence.

BTW, just a note to add that this teacher is not very good to say such things to you. And over the phone too. A good teacher is one who would take time to sit down with you, face to face, to discuss your child's personality and tie that with her progress in school.

I totally believe ANY child will be wary after only TWO short months into a new school / teacher. Wouldn't you be?

sho135 is offline Registered User
    Rather late reply... but just in case anyone else needs it, to answer the original questions, I would recommend either the VB-MAPP or the ABLLS-R (both assessment manuals available from amazon) The VB-MAPP may be slightly better as it gives 'age appropriate' levels, i.e. will score your child as for example being at a 3 year old level for request making, or a 2 year old level for responding to verbal instructions. These assessments will let therapists know where to begin if you want to start an ABA programme, but be warned not all speech and language therapists will be familiar with them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast