Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby settling herself

bigmomma is offline Registered User

Baby settling herself

Hi everyone,

I have read in various places that I should be putting down my baby (3 months) awake so that she learns to settle herself. Up until now she has been falling asleep in my arms (usually at the breast).

When I try to put her down awake or semi-asleep she wakes up alarmed and starts whinging / crying. I have tried going in to her room and patting her/ soothing her without picking her up and then leaving again but this does not seem to work. She gets increasingly more upset until I have to pick her up and then she falls asleep in my arms.

I know many of you will say I should leave her to cry it out but I can't bear it. Is there another way?

Many thanks,

Bigmomma

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    This is what I do with my 3-month old:

After nursing her, she's usually asleep. I get up off the bed (I nurse her lying down), pick her up to burp her (that usually gets her awake) and then I put her down in her cot, semi-awake, turn on the mobile and leave the room.

When she used to cry, I'd go into the room, pick her up again, rock her a bit and then put her back down and leave the room. For however many times it'd take, you just repeat the process. (A variation on the Baby Whisperer technique).

It will work. It might sound really tiring right now, but in the long run, it'll be easier for you once she knows how to settle herself.

Good luck!

KatBoo is offline Registered User
    maybe try changing her nappy after the feed, this may wake her enough so that when she's put into bed, she's not in a deep sleep.

I always put mine into bed awake, if they cry I will try to settle without picking up, but if need be, I'll pick up then when they are settled put them back into bed to fall asleep on their own. It can be a good idea to follow the same pattern each time, ie, say the same thing, such as 'Night Night, time to sleep, mummy loves you'. may not understand now, but will understand the sentiment and soon come to realise that it's time for sleep.

I think it's very important to let them fall asleep on their own. My son (now 2) goes to bed and I give him ****es and cuddles and tell him I love him, then walk away while he's awake, he drops off within a couple of minutes usually.

i'm a big fan of the Baby Whisperer too!!

Matty is offline Registered User
    There is no point in letting them cry it out until they are a least 6 mths old, they are just too young to understand before then.
    I guess the aim is to have things in place before then so you never have to.

What I did with my son was swaddle him, give him a quick cuddle, place him in the cot awake and relaxed, He would have a little cry but I'd place my hand on his chest (without patting) reasure him with a shhh and he would put himself to sleep.

Eventually he didn't need to cry and I could just put him down and walk out.

Do you have a routine? That will make a huge difference. If you are putting your baby to bed at the same time each day, they know what is expected and aren't confused by what you are trying to get them to do.

Query is offline Registered User
    At what age are you supposed to start this routine for it to work on your baby? My baby is only 3 weeks old and I usually rock her to sleep in my arms before putting her in the cot. Is it too early to start her on it? Will she understand and get used to the routine?

KatBoo is offline Registered User
    i started from birth...with all of them.

I recommend buying 'The baby Whisperer' books if you want more information. I would suggest getting both the 1st (blue) one and the 2nd (cream) one. The blue one is an overview, and the cream one goes into much more detail (fyi, the cream one was written just before she died, so is a brain-dump of everything she knew).

In my view, rocking to sleep will mean that she will end up not being able to sleep without being rocked, which is a scenario you don't want to end up in (especially when they are 1 year old and heavy!!). Start as you mean to go on!

K
    Last edited by rani; 07-19-2007 at 12:32 PM. Reason: link added

Matty is offline Registered User
    Absolutley start as early as you can.
    Any changes that you make will just become harder as they get older.

bigmomma is offline Registered User
    Thank you everyone for the advice - I have been doing a bedtime routine (almost since birth) and so now will try and incorporate the putting down semi-asleep/awake. Fingers crossed....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast