Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

matilda hospital vs. queen mary

intrigue is offline Registered User
    I had a few private appointments at first which were expensive and then I went public and once you know how to work the sytem its pretty convenient (ie ignore the time schedule they give you and turn up first thing in the morning!) so your day isn't wasted hanging about

my hospital bill for a 10 day stay at QMH was around $630 (I don't have insurance and imho QMH is the place to go)

a good idea is to get someone to visit afterwards - Yvonne Heavyside was a godsend!

the food was rubbish, yes, so I had meals brought in! There is also a 7-11 downstairs which is very convenient.

and being there 10 days is unusual so don't worry! my son was just too comfortable where he was.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    If you have insurance then it has to be the Matilda. I was there for 5 days, semi private rm, was $100,000.
    Nothing can beat the Matilda for comfort, level of care etc.

Millerwhisk is offline Registered User
    We had partial insurance but not enought to cover even half the cost of going privately.

I did register with QMH but felt really uncomfortable there. We decided therefore it was worth paying to go to Matilda - and it definitley was.

It does cost alot and if anything goes wrong you will go to QMH however this was my second child and baby was healthy. Stay was fantastic. I had a c-sect and altogether it cost us around $70 including all check ups and tests antenatally - personally I felt this a small price to pay to have a wonderful baby but as other people have said it really is personal choice.

Good luck.

peainpod is offline Registered User
    Matilda just raised their prices! It now costs HK$50K for a private rm and HK$32.5K for semi private for the 5-day elective c-section. (Of course this is just the room charges, and does not include the OB fees, anesthetist and spinal epidural charges etc. )

I know the OB will usually charge the same as your room rate, and I'm told the anesthetist will set you back another 12-15K, but can anyone shed light on what additional charges one should expect?

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    my son was born at 33wks at qmh and they took excellent care of him. he had to spend 12days in the special care unit. I would gladly speak on the phone to answer your questions, please PM me if that's something that would be helpful to you. Overall i was happy with the care, bring ear plugs! and I will have my next child there too when that time comes. good luck!

MickeyMom is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by peainpod View Post
    Matilda just raised their prices! It now costs HK$50K for a private rm and HK$32.5K for semi private for the 5-day elective c-section. (Of course this is just the room charges, and does not include the OB fees, anesthetist and spinal epidural charges etc. )

I know the OB will usually charge the same as your room rate, and I'm told the anesthetist will set you back another 12-15K, but can anyone shed light on what additional charges one should expect?
    you mean the OB will charge 50k as well? should you decide for a private room?

peainpod is offline Registered User
    I think that's how it works - the OB charges roughly what your room charges, and that's why everyone pays $100K and up for private care. Compared to other private hospitals, Matilda has the highest ratio of first-class or private rooms (8) vs. 4 2nd class or semi-private and 1 3rd class or ward room. Rooms available on a first-come-first-served basis, unless you prebook through elective c-section.

But anaethetist charges and paediatrician charges can also be quite hefty (altho not as much as OB of course!) Can someone who delivered at Matilda recently shed some light on the cost breakdown?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12