Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

matilda hospital vs. queen mary

miaka is offline Registered User

matilda hospital vs. queen mary

does anyone know the cost of matilda hospital? and how do you 'book' a room there? do you need to go through your doctor or can you just book it the way it is done in public hospitals? does anyone have experience w/ queen mary hospital?

ctrbabe1 Guest

From what I've heard, Matilda is around HK $30,000-40,000. There are many threads about costs on here, you can do a search for "hospital costs" or "Matilda" or "queen mary".

There are many people on here who have delivered at QMH, so if you have specific questions, feel free to ask. There are already some very informative threads, if you just do a search.

sophwillsmum is offline Registered User

My daughter is in Queen Mary at the moment so feel free to PM me if you have any questions I can answer. Our insurance were happy o cover us wherever we went, but we ended up chosing Queen Mary over other 'prettier' hospitals as they are such a large teaching hospital which in my experience usually equates to better expertise in care. I have to say her room is pretty basic(she is in an isolation room) and they do seem a little under staffed, but if you have any problems, I always feel that a large teaching hospital is the safest place to be.

aussiegal is offline Registered User

Matilda is more like $100 000 - that's what we just paid for a 5 day stay in a private room. It's expensive but i loved it and wouldn't change it for anything. but then, we had insurance for it so what's not to love?I would imagine you'd have to be seeing one of the obstetricians to get in.

Canucker is offline Registered User

From friends of mine who gave birth at Matilda the final bill was around HK$100,000 - give or take.

Most of the people I have talked to have gone through QM and that is where I am going in 8 weeks. I just think for the price (if you don't have insurance) the money can be used for better things then just a nice seaview room and better food... but to each their own. Hey... if I had insurance I would jump at the chance to go to Matilda.

I also talked with my former doctor back in Canada who is originally from HK and he told me that QM is one of the best in Asia, especially when it comes to any "problems" that may arise.

But in the end, do what is best for you and your baby...
    Canucker

carang is offline Registered User

for better food at QMH, you can order delivery from many of the food delivery servicess...ie) dialadinner, sohodelivers. pizza hut etc....even if you pay more for the food, you are still paying WAYYYYY less than you would if you went to matilda!

JANE892 is offline Registered User

We have insurance but its limited- only 25k. So we are doing a mix of private and public and will also get a doula (annerley). I've been private up until now (Dr Ho) and have just had my first appointment with the public system. I have to say- I've been happy with the public system so far. They are rushed but totally through. The doc I got at the public hospital was an Aussie!! I had a vaginal infection so they gave me medicine for it for free..honestly for free! At Dr Ho I was paying ALOT for absolutely everything. My next ultrasound at the public hospital is $60...I was paying over $2000 privately. I'm kinda cool with delivering at QMH. I'm going to have a doula so I can get through as much of it at home first. Then the doula will help hubby and I to get to QMH & help with the paper work etc and leave us to it (only 1 person is allowed in the delivery room with you- so I'm having my husband). We are going to spend the money on the doula service and some home care visits afterwards and have already spent alot on private visits up till now.
    Of course if we had the insurance I'd go matilda- but we don't and the QMH/public system seems to be pretty good. My reassurance is that if a baby was terribly sick the private hospitals rush him/her to the pubic (QMH) anyway...so at least at QMH we know we are in the best place if anything was to go wrong.
    3 days of bad food...I can live with that...just get your husband/partner/friend to bring you in some good stuff!

vee
    vee is offline Registered User

I had my baby at the Matilda in January and our bill was only $55,000HK and that included the $20000 delivery fee from the private doctor. It really does depend on your birth and what drug you choose. I went drug free which is probably what lowered the cost. We also only had the $25k insurance coverage.
    I found the midwives great and loved my doctor.
    It's a personal thing as to what you want and can justify paying.
    Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast