Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Wooden Cot vs travel cot/playpen

lucy0 is offline Registered User

Wooden Cot vs travel cot/playpen

Hi everyone,
    This is my first thread, I have been reading a lot of your posts and find them very helpful. Want to say thank you for taking your time to share your experiences.
    My husband and I are expecting our first child in Nov. and we were shopping today for cot and stroller. We lived in a small space so were planning to buy a travel cot that can also be used as a playpen (two in one deal). Anyway, one of the sales told us today that this kind of cot might not be as stable as the normal cot (wooden ones) and she said that we might have to add an extra mattress on top of the original one for extra support. Do any of you have any experiences or advice with the travel cot for us? This will be very helpful.

Undecided mom and dad,
    Yee & Eddie

kashismum is offline Registered User

Go for wooden;forget the playpen

I would be hesitant to use a travel cot as a regular cot. They are often made of nylon and it would be hot in there in summer. Also, the mattress is hardly a matress and does not provide the same sort of support as a normal one.
    Also, you may find that you will not need a playpen - it is not an essential piece of equipment, especially if you have a small flat. Once baby starts to crawl, you can move your valuables upwards and let him/her explore.

For the odd occassion I needed to leave a baby for a minute (to go to the loo or something) I will put them in their cot.

Hope this helps.

joannek is offline Registered User
    agree w/ kashimum. when your baby grows bigger than tiny (like in 3 months), he/she won't be able to fit in the infant bassinet that comes with the travel cot. it will be very bad on your back to put you baby down inside the travel cot to sleep. it's not as stable, the mattress is not a mattress & very hard. agree that you don't need a playpen in HK, except if you live in a very large apmt/house. i would suggest you get a real cot with the following features:
    -can adjust the height as your baby grows.
    - one hand mechanism for lowering the side (preferably both sides)
    - i got mine with wheels, so easier to move around cos i moved my cot around baby's room as she grows.
    - preferably allergy free mattress.

this item will last you more than 2 years, and baby uses it more than anything else for the 1st year.

joannek is offline Registered User
    also, i did buy a travel cot but really only for travelling purposes. she didn't like to play inside cos it's quite small if they start crawling. & too small to sleep in once baby turned 2.

sky123 is offline Registered User
    I have both. The playpen cot mattress does not provide enough support and if you use playpen it will be bad on your back picking up the baby as the side does not slide down. If you use the bassinet once baby starts to sit it will be dangerous. I don't really use the cot though as the baby sleeps with my mum in her bed and previously slept on our window sill (with seat cushions underneath). The playpen is very convenient during the day.

lucy0 is offline Registered User
    Thank you for all your advices, we'll have to discuss more.

Cheer,
    Yee

neshxb is offline Banned
    The wooden cot is much better than the travel playpen. Wooden cot has vertical bars, and travel playpen has nylon mesh netting. Your baby (when she is about 1 years old plus) can climb out of the nylon mesh netting easily but much harder with the wooden vertical bars.