Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Working part-time

Coco is offline Registered User

Working part-time

Any mums out there working part-time ? I was working part-time before I became pargnant and was lucky that the company was looking for a part-time employee at that time. I then became pregnant and my baby is now 17 months old. My two bosses are now constantly saying that they want a full-time person because the work load has increased dramatically......and I get this really unpleasant feeling that they think I'm not dedicated just because I am working part-time. And I feel I have to constantly make my stance to show them that I am dedicated. Furthermore, I'm also taking telephone conference calls in the morning when it is suppose to be my time off. I am always on edge and thinking that they will fire me soon as well......I am on a yearly contract. My boss also asked me my intensions of having another baby. Which I was honest enough to tell him that I was planning to have another. So, I guess once my contract is up, they have the right not to renew, is that right ? Any of you have similar experiences ? Do I have any rights ? Not a happy working mum......

jane01 is offline Registered User
    I work part time ! I can relate to all the things you have mentioned (except the one year contract, as I'm permanent staff. I was full time before I had children and have come back part time).

I work 3 days a week. On my 'days off' I check and reply to emails at lunchtime for about an hour and at night when my girls are asleep for about an hour. I also do work in the evenings. I often attend conference calls on my days off and have even dropped into the office to sort things out with my 1 year old baby. I currently have 8 days in lieu accumulated for working on my off days.

I hate trying to do a 5 day a week job in 3 days. I think my firm has no idea how hard it is. I never have enough time to do it properly and I HATE it.

My work does not think I am dedicated. I have not been promoted since I went part time (and I won't be, they have made that clear). I've been taken off client work and put on admin jobs (which are more work for less reward!).

However for me, what are the alternatives. Either work full time (no way) or not work (considering it). I don't have any solutions, just empathy.

MickeyMom is offline Registered User
    I guess I am one of the lucky fews.

I worked part time since I gave birth to my son. 1st year, i was on a 4 day work week. Then when he started going to pre-school, I made a deal with the company to put me on a schedule that will allow me to be with my son when he is home. Hence, I go to work from 9am to 3pm only. No travel required. The company has staffed me with enough senior people to support my working hours. My boss is very understanding and am very lucky that the Clients value family time as much as they value performance.

I have been on part-time for 3 years already and have been promoted twice. No issues from both my employers and my Clients.

I am really lucky I realize because it is difficult to get this deal.

MickeyMom is offline Registered User
    I forgot to mention, I also go through the "off work hours, and yet still working scenario"... I do e-mails, telephone conference, sometimes have to stay beyond 3pm. But these are minimal and a "sometimes" more than "always". So can't really complain.

With this privilege, there is increased pressure on my part to perform according and even beyond expectations. And this stresses me out sometimes. But all in all, really happy with my situation.

Downside is, no other employer is willing to give me this deal. When I get interviewed by head hunters, my work schedule almost always becomes the deal breaker. But I can't give up time with my son so I always choose to stay with current employer

The reason that I'm not walking away yet is because I know how hard it is to find part-time work. I work 5 afternoons a week. I get to & love spending my time with my little girl in the morning - and do count myself lucky some days that I even have a job to go to !!!!! Hang in there all you part-time working mums......

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

One part-time option for your consideration

You might want to consider this part-time option that would allow you to spend more time with your baby...

http://www.babysignshongkong.com/careers.html

You can PM me if you have questions or want additional information.

hilsman is offline Registered User
    i am looking for part-time work, i used to be a secretary/personal assistant, mainly carry out research work for my ex-bosses, now i work in the marketing department for website development projects. I'm good at doing research, & working on the infrastructure of a website as well as the CRM/Content Management System.

I finally got it out of them that they are looking for a full-time employee and will be terminating my contract. I am absolutely gutted as I've worked extremely hard for them, as said, what with taking tel-cons mornings and evenings......I will have to start looking for something else as we cannot afford me not having an income. I am also not ready to lose out on time with my girl and watch her grow up. The thing that really sucks is that Hong Kong is such an awful place for mums who would like to work part-time. My sister in law in the UK, she works three days a week at a hospital and they respect that that is what she wants to/needs to do. In HK, it is a whole different matter......

:Butbut

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast