Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Do I have to worry about baby flipping during sleep?

vivianhui is offline Registered User

Do I have to worry about baby flipping during sleep?

Hi all,

My baby boy is now 4 and a half months old and has just started to roll over for ~2 weeks. Ever since he has picked up the skill of rolling over, he will try to flip even during his sleep. Previously he couldn't roll himself over because I put him in a grobag, but lately his skill has improved and can roll over even in the grobag. Do I have to worry about him being at risk of suffocation if I continue to let him sleep by himself in his own room (with the baby monitor on to detect his voice)?

I called the nurse at his pd's office and she said there is no need to worry about suffocation. His neck is strong enough to hold his head up to breathe when he flips himself over. This is exactly how I reasoned it in my head but want to get the advice from more experienced mothers.

Thanks!!

carang is offline Registered User
    my daughter is doing exactly the same thing. don't worry about it...it's natural to change position. if you are really worried, buy a baby sleep positioner. that will put your mind at rest.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    The nurses advice is spot on, once they can lift their neck his chances of suffocation decrease - that is what I was told.

Just be sure to remove all toys, cot bumpers, heavy blankets (in this heat I'm sure you have several on the bed!!!!) and the like from the cot.

My DD is 6 months this week and we are using Dr Ferber's progressive approach to sleep training. As a result I find that she does sometimes roll onto her tummy and fall asleep. She will roll back to cry for me if she finds it uncomfortable.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Don't worry- my son has slept on his tummy or side since 4 months when he learnt to roll over. I was told, by a health visitor, that once they learn to toll over there isn't much you can do to stop them turning in their sleep. And that if they can roll over then risk of SIDS is much lower.
    Agree with keeping cot as bare as possible though- definetly no pillow, soft toys etc.

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    my daughter is doing exactly the same thing. don't worry about it...it's natural to change position. if you are really worried, buy a baby sleep positioner. that will put your mind at rest.
    Although I wasn't worried about any danger, my son was getting himself all worked up 'cos he couldn't roll back onto his back. So I took Cara's advice and got the sleep positioner out of it's box (which I was about to give away to a friend!) and lay him to sleep on his side. Works a treat - thanks Cara!