Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prams/strollers/pushchairs

JANE892 is offline Registered User

Prams/strollers/pushchairs

What works in HK??? I've got NO idea where to even START!!!

We live on the 22nd floor of an apartment in causeway bay. We catch cabs, catch the MTR and buses...and there are just so many hills in HK.

So what prams work? Is there one that is easy to get in & out of cabs? what do you do with your baby in a cab? Do you somehow have to buckle him/her up in a crib type thing? Is the crib something that comes in and out of the pram? Otherwise do I have to push around a pram and carry a crib(basket) to move him/her into when getting into a cab...gosh...how does this work!!

Also- are their designs that are easier to get in & out of the MTR? Through supermarket alleys etc...

Would love other Mums & Mums-to-be advice on this.

THanks very much
    Jane

kashismum is offline Registered User

Welcome to Hong Kong!

The good news is, Hong Kong is a great place to raise kids. There are lots of great facilities for kids, even babies, and, above all, it is SAFE!

The bad news is, it can be difficult if you are new to Hong Kong or new to babies. It can seem that HK is not baby-friendly if you don't know where to look or how things work.

Most people will tell you HK is not buggy-friendly and I would tend to agree since:

• Most bus drivers will insist you fold your buggy while travelling
    • Some buses have low floors, but some lifting is inevitable to get on and off
    • Most MTR stations have lifts, but you can end up doing a huge detour to use that particular exit. If you go for escalators, you will usually encounter some stairs.
    • Stairs are everywhere on the streets too.
    • Also, you do not need any form of child restraint when riding in a taxi

So, what to do? Everyone has their own preferences and it's a bit of trial and error. With 2 kids, I've accumulated 5 buggies, 3 carriers/slings, a hip seat and various sets of reins for taking baby out! The one I use the most is the Ergo carrier - I still sometimes use it with my toddler. So much easier than any buggy.

A recent thread sung the praises of the Maclaren strollers - there are several models. But, no car seat attachment. Those that come with the car seat are really only suitable for the first few months, especially if you have a big baby and I've not seen these used so much on public transport.

Well, after all that, nothing conclusive but hopefully you have more an idea of what might work for you.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    We are Maya wrap users. Hardly ever use the stroller. But when we bought our stroller we looked for the following features:
    (1) light weight
    (2) can open/collapse with one hand
    (3) skinny enough to fit through MTR/KCR turnstiles
    (4) amount of weight it could hold
    I think that was it. But like I said, the Mayawrap gets the most use. So much easier than a stroller.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    Sleuth is so right...

We bought a super comfy, great sturdy chicco cortina and had to sell it after a month. The stroller was so big that it was impossible to use in the busy streets and narrow escalators in HK. It was also heavy and big when folded which makes it difficult to get on buses. So we bought a MacLaren Quest whiich is light weight, easy to fold and carry. When it comes to comfort, it is nothing close to those big, cushioned, all suspension wheel type of strollers but it is just more practical.

JANE892 is offline Registered User
    Thanks all for your help.
    Sounds like this is going to be a bit of a nightmare. I don't want to be trapped in my apartment...want to get out and about so must come up with a solution.
    I'm dragging the hubby to bumps to babes & mothercare this weekend- I take it all these above mentioned items (Ergo carrier, Maya wrap, MacLaren Quest) are in these shops?
    Slueth- when you use this Maywrap thing- does that mean that when you get to your destination eg. restaurant etc..you can't put the baby down all night- cause you didn't take a stroller. Do you carry around some sort of bassinet so you can at least put the baby down at times during the day? You said you did get a stroller (light weight etc). What did you go for?
    ELT- is the MacLaren Quest ok for newborns? So if I had a Maywrap to get baby from AtoB and a MacLaren Quest- to put the baby in when I want/need to put him/her down for awhile do you think that would work.
    Gosh...starting to realise how hard this is going to be without family/friends around for support!
    Thanks again. Does anyone else have anything that they really love and works for them?
    Jane

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    the MacLaren XT would be more suitable for new born as it reclines flat (whereas the Quest only around 3/4). The XT model is more sturdy and slightly heavier with wider, bigger wheels, but still it is easy to handle.

I have not used a myra wrap so not sure if it is easy to move the baby in and out of it. I do use a carrier and I had no problem moving the baby to and from the stroller.

Good luck shopping... i remember how much fun it was (until we received the credit card statement...lol)

kashismum is offline Registered User

Ergo not in shops

As far as I know, you can't buy the Ergo in HK. You can order online from http://doubibou.com/ in macau; the shipping is far less than if you order from the US.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    When the baby comes out of the Maya, he goes in your arms. Well, now that he is one he sort of goes where he wants. We have used the Maya as a seat belt in booster seats. And I think the only place to buy a Maya in HK is through La Leche. Try looking for it before yu come over.
    We bought a Graco Citysport from Eugene Club.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast