Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby not eating

lengli is offline Registered User

Baby not eating

i just came over to HK from Singapore over a month ago and my bb has just recovered from a high fever.

Now im really facing a big problem with his feeding because he just wont eat anything. i have tried anything from congee, macroni, soup, bread, fruits. The only thing that he eats is biscuits and im still nursing him.

Has anyone faced similar situations? Help!

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    mine refused solids the few days after a bad allergy from egg yolks. He also tend to not want solids when he's teething, so we just give him his formula as the doctor suggested. How old is your LO? Is he willing to nurse?

nanzbier is offline Registered User
    i found that when my daughter stopped feeding it was usually due to teething.

my baby is 14+ mths, going into 15 mths. before his fever, he is usually ok with most solids and eat whatever i gave him. Now, he just pushes the food away. He is willing to nurse though and takes biscuits. thats the only thing that he eats. Im concerned whether he is getting enough nutrients. Maybe its the fever or teething because he likes to bite biscuits. Really hope this phase will pass soon because im getting q. stressed up wrecking my brains and coming up with different receipes.

joannek is offline Registered User
    how old is he? can he drink chinese soup? if he does, you can add dried mandarin peel in together to boil the soup. just rinse the dried peel under the tap & put together with other ingredients. dried mandarin peel opens up the appetite. it works well with my daughter.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    have you tried feeding him puree food? mine has been refusing congee for a week now. He would only take puree baby food and formula. Suspect he's teething and the gums hurt when he eat congee. Any chance yours going through same thing?

my_ldbug is offline Registered User

Not eating

Dear Lengli

My LO just turned 15mos. A week or so ago, he also seemed to have a loss of appetite and was very grumpy. Didn't want any rice, congee or even his (usually) favourite pasta. We put it all down to teething pains cause he would also wake up howling in the middle of the night and no amount of consoling would do. However, he did like to eat fruit - pears, grapes, blueberries - and loved drinking the chinese soup. Occasionally, I would try to slip in some of the soup veggies like carrot, pumpkin, potato (all slightly mashed). Another good food is cheese sticks. I buy them from Citysuper / Great (I think the brand name is called QQBB). He has almost never refused one when handed to him - even with teething pains. Now he's back to normal and eating like he used to.

PS: if you want to check if it's teething pains, look at his gums. If teething, they will be swollen and sometimes red. One of the PT helpers I had recommended making the "teething" water / soup to mix with formula. It helps to ease the swelling and pain for the babes.

Hope this helps.

Hi

Thanks for all the advice. After hearing all your comments, i think it could be teething after all as his gums are q. red and a bit swollen. And he would also wake up in the middle of the night howling..hm..sounds familiar?

The cheese stick idea and the mandarin orange peel sounds like good idea. Will try out these and hope it will help. Thanks pple!