Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Live out helper?

JANE892 is offline Registered User

Live out helper?

We are fairly new to HK & are expecting baby no. 1 at the end of the year. I want to do things on my own for the first 3 months or so (yes I might regret this decision later!) so we'd like to get a helper at the end of March 08 or April 08.

Our apartment is too small to have a helper live with us- and both myself and my husband just can't come to terms with the idea of a non-family member living with us.

I've read through these threads but i can't find some basic info like
    - How much do helpers cost
    - How much extra do I have to pay to have a helper live somewhere else (hostel?)
    - I've heard the best way to find a good one is via word of mouth (recommendation)...how do you start the legal side of this once you've found one?

Appreciate your help with this.
    Thanks,
    Jane

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by JANE892 View Post
    I've read through these threads but i can't find some basic info like
    - How much do helpers cost
    - How much extra do I have to pay to have a helper live somewhere else (hostel?)
    - I've heard the best way to find a good one is via word of mouth (recommendation)...how do you start the legal side of this once you've found one?
    - Going rate for helpers is $50-80/hour
    - you'll pay him/her just the hourly rate. This rate is in no way comparable to a Foreign Domestic Helper's salary as you are not allowed to hire a FDH to live out.
    - you can search here; http://www.jobs.gov.hk/eng/jobseeker...zardform.aspx? and, as you say, ask around.

To stay within the law, the helper you hire must be a permanent Hong Kong resident. You'll need to ask to see their ID card to verify their status. Alternatively, someone on a dependent visa could legally work for you, though this is a more unlikely scenario.

At the end of the day, you may decide there are more advantages to hiring a FDH to live in:
    - cheaper
    - more stable (sign a 2 year contract)
    - speak English
    - better qualified, especially in caring for babies (I find).

Hope this helps!

Really?

I'd heard that we can get a FDH (legally) full time etc and its ok for them to live out- just as long as we pay for their accomodation. I thought there were hostels for FDH specially for this purpose?

I'm confused...I really don't want a helper living with us. It would be strange at night when hubby and I just want to hang out on the couch etc. Our flat is wayyyy to small for a helper.

kashismum is offline Registered User

Take a look at www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/faq_fdh.htm
    There, it is stated:

Q42: Can an FDH live away from his/her employer's home?

A42:

No. An FDH should work and reside in the employer's residence in accordance with Clause 3 of the Standard Employment Contract (ID407). The employer is required to provide the FDH with free accommodation as per the standard specified in the "Schedule of Accommodation and Domestic Duties" of the employment contract.

(Employers who have obtained the Director of Immigration's approval before 1 April 2003 to let their FDHs live out can continue to do so, so long as they continue to employ FDHs without a break of more than 6 months.)

Many employers do allow their FDH to live out and pay extra, though this is not legal.

In some circumstances, employers can request special permission, but having a small flat is not 'special circumstances'.

HI kashismum- thanks heaps for your help. I was just going through the other posts and did the research and found the same thing. It's pretty definite! I don't want to do anything illegal. Gosh...will really have to talk to my husband about this...big decisions. I guess I'm limited to either being a full time mum (I kind of wanted to go back to work 3 days a week) or paying ALOT more for part time help...or moving to a bigger apartment where we might be more comfortable with a live in helper.

It just seems so strange to me...how do you all have a live in helper in a small apartment- I walk around in my underwear alot. I like to lie on the couch all curled up with my hubby watching TV. My home is my place to relax...I'd find it so strange feeling on edge on the time with someone else there...

Arggh...sorry..just venting- not expecting answers. Just really troubled with this decision...

Matty is offline Registered User

Hi Jane,

I have quite a few friends that legally employ FDH's and have them live out.
    It's definatley the way to go if you have a small flat.
    I can put you in contact with them if you need some advice.

Cheers,

Matty.

josoo is offline Registered User

Live out helper?

I have two helpers and one of them used to live out. If you need details, please PM me. Tons of helpers live out. Please let me know how I can help you.

Bear Lau is offline Registered User

I have a friend who works in the immigration department handling all the oversea employment. I had clarify with her that it is legal for the DH to stay outside as long as you apply and the department give you a green light for it. Any other case is ILLEGAL.
    Don't forgot if anything goes wrong, both the employer and employee will get fine.

Bear Lau:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast