Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

discovery bay....accomodation and info

Kimmi is offline Registered User

"Stepford Wifes" what is that?. Everyone mentioned that before I moved to DB. Been in DB just over a year now and love it. Everyone friendly and helpfull. Easy to make friends. It feels like you are living on a resort though. so not everyones cup of tea, but we like it. We have 2 kids and a big dog so perfect for us.
    Also I didnt want to live in a high rise apt with a lift. I live in a low rise close to the beach, also have a nice terrace for BBQ's and our rent is quite reasonable too. If ya need any help, contact me. Im also a Londoner (Cockney). Good Luck!

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

I actually haven't seen "stepford Wives" but have heard it banted around before. I think 'cause of the golf carts.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

In 'Stepford Wives', the men make their wives into robots who are always dressed perfectly, who are perfectly slim and who do everything they are told!!!!

Am pretty sure you might find the odd Stepford wife in DB but there are also plenty of us who are nowhere near anything like a Stepford Wife!

It is a bit of an idyllic community and quite resortlike but in my opinion it beats living in the crowded, congested, polluted city anyday!

Buttah is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by jane01 View Post
    I agree with Beckboo re the prices of apartments. Do a search of some of the real estate agents to get more information - eg. Kaman, Centaline, Midland, etc.

There are lots of things for children (and adults) to do in DB.

Playgroups - there are a lot of privately run (in home) playgroups as well as Sunshine House and DMK (Discovery Mind Kindergarten).

Schools - Sunshine House and DMK offer up to about 6 years old, I think. There is also Discovery Bay International School from 3 years to 12 years. An English Schools Foundation school is being built in Discovery Bay, I think opening in 2008. It will accomodate Kindergarten, Primary and Secondary. The schools often have long lists to get into. My daughter goes to Discovery Bay INternational School and we love it.

Club facilities - love them and use them a lot. We are members of the Residents Club (which includes Club Sienna). Personally I can't stand the Marina Club, but others love it.

Restaurants and cafes - you are spoilt for choice, there are heaps. Chinese/Thai/Korean/Japanese/International/all day breakfast/Irish pub/Seafood/French and lots more I've probably forgotten.

Playgrounds - one playground per development. They are great.
    How are the schools at Discovery Bay, specifically Discovery Bay International School and the new "English Schools Foundation school"?

We're considering these DB schools. We have now a 1.5 yr old daughter and another one on the way... Any parent's first hand experience with these schools (K-12 or whatever the upper limit is)? (teachers, philosophy, parent involvement, competitiveness of students...) The waitlist sounds quite intimidating? Does that mean I have to apply now for my 1.5 yr old for Kindergarten??

jane01, can you elaborate on why you like DBIS so much?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12