Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

discovery bay....accomodation and info

onesarah is offline Registered User

discovery bay....accomodation and info

thanks for everyones advice to my other post.
    i have been looking at areas and accomodation costs on the internet, and i think we might be interested in discovery bay. we'd like to be by the beach, but repluse bay and the southside seems very expensive.

hubby will work in central, so can walk from the outer islands ferry port - but i am wondering where is the best place to actually live in DB so that you are near to the pier there? ideally, we'd like to live in a low level apartment.

any advice greatly appreciated.
    sarah

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Hi

Think that DB is a good choice- we have lived here for almost three years now and love it, and most importantly our 9.5 month old loves it too!

DB is a pretty small place and anywhere in DB is close to the pier! Buses and hire cabs run from each development to the ferry 24 hrs a day and you can be from anywhere in DB to the pier in no more than 5 minutes.

If you'd like to be minutes from the pier by walking then the best place would be Seahorse Lane and the beach apartments; not only are they right on the beach but are low rise.

Other low rises to consider are- Siena 1, Siena 2, Caperidge, Crestmont....all are around 10-20 mins walk from the pier and beach, depending on how fast you walk; and just 3-4 mins to both on the bus or hire car.

HTH!

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    The La Costa complex is lo rise and not as expensive as seahorse or seebee lanes. They are on the other side of the pier - just a short walk to the plaza and beach.

thanks for those suggestions. what is the price we can expect for a 3 bed in a low rise? we'd probably like a garden apartment if possible.
    are there lots of things to do in DB? i get the impression from other posts, that there are playgroups and good schools - how about parks and cafes and restuarants? is the club house good - and do people go often?

just trying to imagine what things would be like!
    many thanks
    sarah

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Hi,

I think 3 bed low rise with garden you are looking at anything from HK$30,000-50,000.
    The garden makes it much more expensive than your average 3 bedroom.

DB is a great place to live w/plenty to do with kids.

The focal meeting point is the plaza which has everything you could need for day to day life- supermarket, post office, bank, hairdressers, small department store, baby shop, toy shop, pharmacy/chemist etc. etc. It also has coffee shops, 7-11, and a variety of restaurants- French, Thai, Kebabs, Japanese, Korean, Interantional, Mexican, Seafood, BBQ, Thai, Chinese and a pub!

After school the plaza is full of children playing with each other and on their bikes- from babies, to toddlers, to older children!

DB has plenty of playgrounds, every residential development has its own playground.
    There's the beach, which use to be a lot cleaner than I've noticed it being lately and the sea is not clean (I wouldn't take my son in it) but I take him to play in the sand and our dogs go for a swim!
    We go to the pool several times a lot and there are always plenty of babies, toddlers and kids there. The pool at Club Siena is great, with adult pool, childrens pool and babies pool! It's very popular.
    My son also loves the rockpools, up by the golf course.

There are plenty of playgroups, kidergartens and extra curricular activities for kids.

HTH!

jane01 is offline Registered User
    I agree with Beckboo re the prices of apartments. Do a search of some of the real estate agents to get more information - eg. Kaman, Centaline, Midland, etc.

There are lots of things for children (and adults) to do in DB.

Playgroups - there are a lot of privately run (in home) playgroups as well as Sunshine House and DMK (Discovery Mind Kindergarten).

Schools - Sunshine House and DMK offer up to about 6 years old, I think. There is also Discovery Bay International School from 3 years to 12 years. An English Schools Foundation school is being built in Discovery Bay, I think opening in 2008. It will accomodate Kindergarten, Primary and Secondary. The schools often have long lists to get into. My daughter goes to Discovery Bay INternational School and we love it.

Club facilities - love them and use them a lot. We are members of the Residents Club (which includes Club Sienna). Personally I can't stand the Marina Club, but others love it.

Restaurants and cafes - you are spoilt for choice, there are heaps. Chinese/Thai/Korean/Japanese/International/all day breakfast/Irish pub/Seafood/French and lots more I've probably forgotten.

Playgrounds - one playground per development. They are great.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    Think stepford wives and plensantville mixed with your favourite island resort and you have some idea of life in DB!

Prices really do differ depending on the property and the landlord. Check out some of the real estate sites that offer DB properties.
    http://www.hongkonghomes.com (a personal favourite)
    http://www.expatflats.com/index.php
    http://www.gohome.com.hk/english/home.asp?

Agents in the area:-
    http://www.kaman.com.hk/index.htm
    http://www.c21newcourt.com/
    http://www.midland.com.hk/eng/index_commercial.shtml

I think the Resources section of GeoBaby also has agents that will be able to help.

brilliant! i was wondering if it was a bit stepford wives, or maybe the truman show!? that said, all sounds a lovely place to bring up children.

thanks for all the tips ladies. am feeling much more positive about the move now that i have a bit more information and know what i can expect.

sarahx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast