Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

moving back to hk in jan08

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I have to confess that I do not know what a 'mailhouse' is, but I would say it is not absolutely essential for a programmer to read and write Chinese. In fact, I'd say that speaking Cantonese, your hubbie would be able to get a job pretty easily.

Agree that a small stroller will come in handy.

lantau35 is offline Registered User
    I do quite a bit of recruitment and I would slightly disagree with some of the comments and say that Chinese (Mandarin) to a high level is increasingly required. The ability to write Chinese is a minimum in so many positions now too. Of course there are the usual ex-pat exceptions (of which I'm one), but I would just manage your expectations a little as there is a real shift towards language skills being required. Check out the Saturday job section of the SCMP for example - even in an English speaking paper like this, many, many jobs are now looking for fluent Mandarin and Cantonese (even quite junior ones).

I know a Cantonese speaking (but not Mandarin speaking or Chinese writing professional) from the US that has found it much tougher than he expected here as a result.

Don't want to sound too negative - just helps to be fully aware just in case it takes a little longer than you thought for him to find a job he wants...

EC_mum is offline Registered User
    I fully understand it will take some time to look for a decent job. Teaching english is another path we think he can go with, but just not sure if he needs any particular qualification even for private tution.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12