Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hypnobirthing

Jo Bowd is offline Registered User
    When are you due Mrs P?

I just spoke to Louise at Annerley last week and the hypnobirthing classes are pretty much all full, so she's had to lay on extra to deal with the demand.

Anyone else completed the hyponbirthing classes with Louise at Annerley and then also had her as their doula? That's what I'm trying to arrange, if I can try to get into a class. As I'm due the end of October.

Bizeemama is offline Registered User
    Hi Jo,
    I am a midwife in the New Territories and offer birth coaching as part of my services. Hypnobirthing is great but remember that there are many other tools to take with you into labour! Hypnobirthing is based on Dr. Dick Reid's work and the Mongan method has evolved from that. I personally love the work of Robert Bradley and coach many clients in the Bradley method. I would suggest you purchase the book "Birthing the Bradley way" from Amazon and have a good read of it. The book will cover hypnobirthing and more. From what you have mentioned with your first labour, I think you will find Bradley very insightful.
    I personally have had three Bradley births and the last one was at home in Hong Kong (unassisted) 14 months ago.
    I am unable to help you as I am in the West New Territories and only take on a selected few clients each month (busy with four children of my own), but feel free to email me at [email protected] and I am happy to have a phone chat with you about ways you and your partner can get ready for your baby's birthday!
    Bradley is about "partner assisted" birth, so you and your husband work as a team.
    It is not for everyone as BOTH parents need to be dedicated, but for a dad that wants to be involved it is super.
    I have also given a pretty full on description about my birth in another thread titled "homebirth" so you can find out a bit more about how is worked for our birth.
    Good luck and enjoy your baby's birthday.

NewMummy is offline Registered User
    Am really interested in this. Has anyone had real experience with hypno birth? Does it work? I am not very good with meditation etc. so am not sure if I can go through hypnobirthing, any thoughts?

Ali71 is offline Banned

First time mum hypno-ed in London

Hi - I did the hypnobirthing course in London 3 months prior to having my first child, I feel it definitely helped; I had a dreadful pregnancy and comparatively had a very good birth - 6 hour labour (just pethadine) with no tears stitches etc; My waters broke with meconium so I wasn't allowed to try a water birth and had to be linked up to the monitors permanently, with my hind waters artificially broken (all according to UK policy). However I fought against (and won!) an epidural and drug inducement for dilation; Certainly the monitors and artificial bits are contrary to the hyno idea and hindered my relaxed mindset but I had no choice; I still felt 'pain' very strongly and got tired (hence the pethadine), I was useless and couldn't do the breathing; In retrospect my husband probably should have done a lot more preparation as he had no idea how to help me (not that I was very friendly or relaxed) and that was a factor - make sure you have a fully committed informed partner and helpful midwife; Plus be aware that hospital policy may hinder you. I feel I allowed myself to get tired and allowed myself to get all adrenalined up but certainly the hypnobirthing mindset really helped - plus sit on a gym ball. As with everything in life be open and try it - even if you just read the book; Best of luck

JennyB is offline Registered User
    For Hypnobirthing to work, you just have to BELIEVE it is going to work, and PRACTISE the relaxation exercises so that they become second nature.

For those who don't know how it is supposed to work, Hypnobirthing philosophy believes that childbirth is usually more painful than it should be because we are TENSE and TERRIFIED of pain. With my first baby, I remember tensing and bracing myself for a contraction, thinking "oh no, here comes another one". Whereas a contraction is supposed to help the cervix dilate and ease the baby downwards, if we are tense then the contractions are pushing against an obstacle, and that's what causes most of the pain, and/or many common medical interventions such as inductions, forceps or caesareans - yes, Hypnobirthing claims to reduce the chance of all of those being needed.

By listening to the CDs (one is a relaxation CD, one is positive affirmations) daily for several weeks, we can reprogramme our minds to relax more easily and have a more positive mindset about labour. If you are relaxed and have nothing to fear, it will definitely be an easier experience than otherwise. The breathing technique is also excellent.

I did listen to the CDs daily, but still I didn't find it easy to relax. I'm quite a tense person normally. Some people using Hypno manage to sleep through most of their labour, but I wasn't that lucky! Even still, my labour was a breeze, and the midwives at QMH couldn't believe I was in labour until about half an hour before the baby appeared, which was great because the medical staff left us alone!

Up to the last hour (8cm?) I was still talking and walking between contractions. I stayed relaxed by listening to relaxing music and letting my husband do all the talking/negotiations with the hospital staff. I also used the EpiNo which helped me to have tremendous confidence that the last stage would not be painful, which it wasn't.

You can order books and CDs online, but they save the best CD for course participants (although I'm sure you can get it on Ebay!) and it's great to have the support and encouragement of Louise, who is great at dispelling skepticism and self-doubt.

Jo Bowd is offline Registered User
    It worked for me. I had another beautiful boy on Tuesday morning at home.

I took the course with Louise at Annerley. When you attend the course the philosophy and princples are explained, you get to practice some relaxation and self-hypnosis in the sessions. There's an official hypnobirthing book, extra phamplet produced by Annerley and two cd's. I read the book, listened to the cd a minimum of once daily after taking the course. To be honest though, I was still a little skeptical about if it really would work. As I've never been one to do meditation or relaxation excersises.

I had a really positive empowering, drug-free birth. I felt "pains" but they were managable.
    Last edited by Jo Bowd; 10-25-2007 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Wanted to add extra details.

JennyB is offline Registered User
    Fantastic news, Jo! At home? Wow!
    Jenny

jacqui is offline Registered User
    hello, I am 37 weeks this wednesday and am trying to find the hypnobirthing book with the cd's. but i can't find it in any of the bookstores in HK! and now i am panicking. i was wondering if maybe i could buy the book and cd's from you. i was going to order it but by the time the book got here i'm afraid i will have given birth. i discovered hypnobirthing a little late. this is my second pregnancy and my last one was very painful because i had back labour. do you you think you could help me out? sorry for the imposition. jacqui

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast