Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hypnobirthing

Cici is offline Registered User

Hypnobirthing

Hi
    My younger sis has just signed up for classes with Annerly with hypnobirthing. She gave me a website showing all the plus benefits. Since I've never had these classes before (all of mine were just the normal antenatal classes), can anyone new mums give a feedback on whether its worth her signing up for this or shall I tell her just to go for the normal antenatal classes?
    much appreciated.

joannek is offline Registered User

i tried hynobirthing, but not w/ Annerly, cos I didn't know they offered hypnobirthing then in 2004.

anyway, i was determined to have a drug free birth, so i bought the CD & the book from the internet. I read the book & practiced the breathing technique. i was lazy so i didn't listen to the CD everyday and meditate accordingly. and i was practicing by myself, so there were parts i didn't understand. & i didn't do the perenial massage.

anyway, turned out i started labour at 10.30pm, managed to sleep until 730am until the 7mins-apart contraction woke me up. i managed to fool my way around the house until at 10am until i asked my husband not to go to work cos it MAY be it, but no one else knew i was in labor (i live w/ my in-laws, so there were 6 other adults in thehouse besides me & my hubby, & i didn't want anyone to panick). i finally went to the hospital at 12 noon when my contractions was 5 mins apart. but even the midwife at the maternity ward at matilda couldn't tell i was in labor & asked me to go to the canteen & have lunch first. when she checked me at after my lunch at 1pm, i was already 3 cm dilated. the midwife was shocked! she said she's never seen someone with their first pregnancy still so calm at this stage. the point is, i was only practicing the breathing technique properly, which worked wonderfully.

unfortunately, i think it was because i didn't meditate everyday, my baby was positions wrongly & i had severe back labor. i did take epidural but the whole thing went smoothly.

i know that when i have my next child, i'm DEFINTELY going to sign up for proper hynobirthing technqes, so that i can go drug free & have an easy birth.

Cici is offline Registered User

Thxs joannek, wow-you must have a strong pain threshold-I remember screaming for an epi-dural for my first one- unfortunately my younger sister was the only one with me at that time (hubbie was on a biz trip), so it kinda put her off going natural. HOWEVER, saying that, the website on hypnobirthing really sounds good, so I've trying to get her to explore the different possibilitys and that maybe her birthing process wouldn't be as traumatic as mine (had a really bad tear as well).
    She's also brought the Epi-no just in case

joannek is offline Registered User

i squint on the prick of a needle, so i'm no pain tolerant person. it's the hypnobirthing breathing technique that helped, i'm sure.

Matty is offline Registered User

I did the hypnobirthing course with Annerley, and delivered my baby last September at QMH.

It was excellent.

My water broke at 7.30pm, contractions started 2hrs later, didn't need to do anything for the first couple of hours as it was very mild.
    As the contractions became more intense, I made myself comfortable and began the relaxation exercises.
    Went to QMH at 3am, had discomfort while they poked and prodded me, but once they left me alone I was able to relax again.
    Baby was born at 7.35am.

The only thing that REALLY HURT was the crowning, but it only lasted a short time and I had no tearing.

Another girl in my course went into labour and because she wasn't due for 3 weeks, didn't realise it was labour!
    She had what she thought was an upset stomach for 8hrs, then ended up making a mad dash in an ambulance to QMH and didn't make it!

I guess regular antenatal classes prepare you for what can go wrong, while the Hypnobirthing course teaches you what to do to make it a good experience.

cemily is offline Registered User

Never knew of hynobirth until 9 mths ago, a friend in KL did hynobirth at home with NO midwife. She was able to make baby turn and come out "smoothly". Quite amazing.

Rgds

e

Jo Bowd is offline Registered User

HypnoBirthing® The Mongan Method

Just read a recent post by JennyB (on another thread about Queen Mary Hospital) who used HypnoBirthing. Anyone else completed the course offered at Annerley Midwives? What was your experience compared to prior births?

I was in going bonkers during labour with my first child - (during the part when I wasn't even dilated!) I ended up admitting myself to QMH too early and was on the ward for 19 hours until I finally reached 2cm and they transferred me to the labour suite beacuse it was empty!

Needless to say, as soon as I was in the labour suite I requested an epidural!

I now live in DB and as I have a two year old son. I don't want to go admit myself too early again, but would like to maintain some kind of control at home, so my toddler is not upset by my reaction to labour pains.....

MrsP is offline Registered User

I have just finished the HypnoBirthing course at Annerley but haven't had my baby yet. This is my second baby and my first delivery was an induced epidural so this time I want to be more involved in the process.

I really enjoyed the course and everything they said made perfect sense. They also emphasise that you should be in control and have the birth you want. Obviously, as I haven't delivered yet, it's too early to say whether it worked or not but I am feeling more prepared and more in control - the course also dispels some of the myths of childbirth circulated by some Hong Kong medical practitioners which I found reassuring.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast