Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

passport/visa info needed...

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User

passport/visa info needed...

My and my older daughters dependent visas expire in October, so we will need to renew. My daughter's passport expires a year from now. If we don't renew her passport before getting the new visa sticker (which should be valid for 2 years), will we have to pay again for a visa when her passport expires or will they just give us a new one since it's still valid? Should we renew her passport this year before getting the new visa sticker?

Also, my 2nd daughter was born here (but is an American citizen). Do we need to apply for a visa for her, or does she automatically have right of abode here because hubby is a permanent resident?

Thanks for any help!
    All the best,
    Katie

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Hi not sure about the visa/sticker problem- I think you have to renew the passport and ask them for your old passport back with the still valid visa in it, and then you have to carry the two passports round, but would ask the relevant immigration dept. for the right answer.
    I did that once with a 3 yr China visa that was valid in an old passport.
    Last edited by bekyboo44; 08-01-2007 at 09:35 PM.

HAVE JUST REALISED AFTER RE-READING YOUR POST- My son is like your 2nd daughter, born here to permanent resident but not a HK or Chinese national, he automatically got permanent residency and needs no dependent visa- and so your daughter should be the same.
    On her birth certificate from the HK Registrar it shoud say that her Permanent status has been approved.

You have to fill our a form and send it to immigration with copies of her birth certificate, passport, your marriage certificate, your passport and the permanent resident holders id card.
    They will then send you an appointment time and the permanent resident will have to take original copies of all of the above for them to verify.
    They will then issue the permanet resident sticker in your daughters passport.

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User
    Thanks so much for the info! Do you know where I can get the form? Can I get it online or do I have to go to the immigration dept.?
    All the best,
    Katie

Hi- happy to help! If I remember correctly, you can get it online. I was really lazy and e-mailed the immigration department explaining what I wanted to do and I think they posted me the form! You could try that.

intrigue is offline Registered User
    I got the forms but they were so confusing I never bothered to get the sticker in the passport!

I bring the passport and the birth cert when we travel. Adds a few mins onto the in and out procedure but its not actually required by law to get the sticker.

I don't remember the forms being that confusing- I decided was just too much hassle to carry birth certificate everywhere so thought sticker was easiest option.

rani is offline Administrator
    We also got the sticker in D's passport. The Immigration officers will help you fill it out. We still carry a copy of D's birth certificate as I've kept my maiden name, and when you're travelling alone they sometimes ask for it when checking in.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast