Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Disappointed with my first visit to Tsan Yuk

joyofliving is offline Registered User

Disappointed with my first visit to Tsan Yuk

At 10 weeks pregnant I went to Tsan Yuk yesterday for my first Antenatal check up and was quite disappointed. The midwife who took my exam seemed programmed to do a certain routine and did not pay any attention to what I was saying. I told her I have an autoimmune disease, PCOS and I am a Rhesus -ve, so I would need that to be mentioned on my record booklet but she didn't care. (I showed her all the tests to prove my case). I told her a couple of times I would need to see a doctor asap coz in my case baby needs more than regular monitoring but she still gave me appointment for 21st Aug. Moreover my first ultrasound appointment is scheduled for 22nd Oct. Do I have no say whatsoever when it comes to the public system?

rani is offline Administrator
    Joy,

Queen Mary Hospital has a high-risk Dept. I would call the patient hotline and see how you can transfer. Queen Mary Hospital - 2855 4956

Best of luck!
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

intrigue is offline Registered User
    Hi,

I went through the Tsan Yuk / QMH system and I'm also rhesus negative. In fact the only time I had a problem was when I went private for my amniocentesis that they forgot to give me an injection and I only read up about it in my What to Expect When Expecting Book that night so I phoned the private doc next morning and I had to rush in as I needed that injection within 24 hours.

But I digress.

Back to Tsan Yuk. I suggest you give them a call to be sure that you have covered the bases and ask them to give you a guideline as to how many weeks you will need to receive your injections - I actually didn't realise I needed the injections (because of the rhesus neg blood) and it was they that would tell me - I think I had them three times in Tsan Yuk (and once after the private amnio). I had always thought I/the baby only got an injection after the birth.

intrigue.

Thanks Rani and Intrigue. For Rhesus -ve I know I need injections at 28 weeks, 34 weeks and right after deliver or if some invasive procedure like amnio is performed.
    I am more worried about PCOS problem and my Anti SSA/Ro antibody being positive. The former needs screening for gestational diabetes sooner and more often that normal women do and for latter the doctor needs to regularly see if the fetus has developed any congenital heart block and if its growing normally. This is more or less what I know from internet research.
    I called up the number you gave Rani, the lady on the other side didn't seem to understand what I was talking about and said would give me a call back.

intrigue is offline Registered User
    ok best of luck!

and I've written elsewhere here that when it comes to Tsan Yuk you can go first thing on the day of your appointment instead of at the alloted time - that way you don't hang around all day. For instance my appointments were always scheduled for 1030 but about 50 other women are given that same time slot so I used to turn up at 8/8:30am, check in and get the first ticket and be out by 10 so I could get to work.

rani is offline Administrator
    Joy - I just spoke to the nurse at the Private Obstetric Clinic (S Block, 5/F),Tel 2855 4182 and she says you need a refferal letter. Apparently Tsan Yuk can refer you. She had another call and I couldn't ask her anymore questions. Maybe you call her after a few mins and see if you can get some info from her.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Thanks Rani for calling. I also followed up and the nurse told me I needed a reference letter from my doctor. I asked her if I could get it from Tsan Yuk and she said it could work but she wasn't sure.