Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Refuse to drink milk at 12 months

meimei is offline Registered User

Refuse to drink milk at 12 months

Hi everyone,
    my daughter has just turned 1. She has been showing less and less interest in drinking milk. She started weaning off milk bottle at 11 months and started drinking milk from her sippy cup. But lately she will only take her milk in the morning for about 8 oz. Then when I try feeding her at 2:30pm and 6:30pm, she would only take 1-2 oz and keep pushing away the cup. I've been trying for 2 weeks now, but she refuses to take more milk. I'm starting to worry if she will have enough nutrition or not. She's been loving her solid food and eats quite well though.
    Does anyone have the same experience? Pls. share.
    Thanks a lot!

Lolipop is offline Registered User
    Yes, we had the same experience!

You need not worry though! I did a lot of research! We humans have got it into our head that our children need to drink loads of milk, otherwise they will end up with a calcium difficiency! Well, this is silly, afterall, milk is not naturally intented for the consumption of humans, but for the consumption of baby cows or goats!

As long as your little one is getting a well rounded and ballanced diet, i.e. plenty of vegatables and fruit, nuts, berries etc etc then you should not have anything to worry about.

The recommended daily in take of calcium for a child 1yr - 3yrs is the equivelent of 600ml of full fat milk per day but this intake can also be taken by the following foods as well :

You can also find calcium in Almonds, brocolli, Okra (and most green vegatables - but not spinach), Soya beans, Tofu, fish, dried figs, seame seeds, baked beans, chickpeas, onions, cabage ....

If it is formular milk you are refering to then really I dont know - I am from the UK and in the UK it is recomended that babies are weaned off formular milk by the time they are 1 yr anyway - because they should be getting the artificial nutrients put into formular in normal everyday solid food instead.

Hope this helps

Good luck

xxxx

capital is offline Banned
    She needs 2-3 servings of dairy/day, she is having one serving already, If she eats cheese, yoghurt, ect she should be fine, or if not just make sure she is getting calcium in other forms. You can also sneak in milk in milk based puddings, soups. cereal, make your own homemade fruit and yoghurt popsicles, etc.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    I have a similar thing with my 9.5 month old....he is also an excellent eater, and so I've been making sure that if he won't drink as much milk as I think he should be that he gets the calcium in other ways. He loves yoghurt and cheese and things cooked with milk.

meimei is offline Registered User
    HI everyone,
    thanks for your input! She loves cheese and yogurt in her food. So I'll keep giving her those!
    Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by bekyboo44 View Post
    I have a similar thing with my 9.5 month old....he is also an excellent eater, and so I've been making sure that if he won't drink as much milk as I think he should be that he gets the calcium in other ways. He loves yoghurt and cheese and things cooked with milk.

cemily is offline Registered User
    Personally, I believe the theory/scientific research that cows' milk is meant for cows. So, early weaning off formula may actually be a good thing.

rgds

e