Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

No ID yet - any problems or costs?

stephanie84 is offline Registered User

No ID yet - any problems or costs?

Hello u all!
    This forum helped me already a lot and I want to say thanks to all participating.
    I am in week 30 now and live in europe. Unfortunately ( not because of HK - I love it!) my hubby will be send to HK in about 2 weeks. His company is already caring for the visa, but as he will work in mainland they said its not a big thing to just stay in HK the 90 days. Maybe we will get the resident status untill the delivery happens, but maybe we will get it short after that. As I really want to stay with my hubby the rest of the pregnancy and dont want to have the case that he is propably missing the big day, I want to join him, and want to give birth in HK.
    Does anybody know if there are regulations for the entry, the birth and if there will be higher costs because of this.
    Maybe good to know, I am holding a european passport.

Lolipop is offline Registered User
    Hi ya!

I am from the UK and originally had 90 days 'grace' here before I had to apply for a visa.

You can of course have your baby in Hong Kong, but without a visa you will have to go private. This can be very pricey or not so pricey depending on the hospital - for example, if you deliver (normal vaginal delivary) at somewhere like Adventist or Matilda hospital, you could be looking at (as I understand) a hospital cost of HK$50,000 + - which translates into around 3.5k UK pounds.

Other hospitals will do private for you also - As far as I know all of the public hospitals have private sections that would cost less.

It may be worth you googling Hospitals in HK and having a look at prices separatley (bare in mind the prices do not normally include the doctor fee - which can sometimes be quite high (depending on doctor)).

I hope I have helped a little ...

Congratulations on your pregnancy and good luck with the delivery

joyofliving is offline Registered User
    To add to the last post, hospitals in Hong Kong both Private and Public require you to register with them months in advance. And from what I have heard from pregnant mums and doctors, most of the times it is difficult/ almost impossible to get bookings at short notice. So before coming here its wise to call the hospitals and ask for availability.